Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sophie12
    • Apr 2024

Help needed please with Renogy issues

Hi all, I’m new here and was hoping some of you knowledgeable bunch might be able to advise on an issue I am having with my solar set up.

I have a Renogy Rover 40 charge controller attached to none-Renogy AGM batteries. Renogy advised initially via live chat to set the charge controller to SLD setting (there is not a specific AGM setting). Has been hooked up like this for about 9 months.

All seemed well until yesterday when I happened to notice charge controller display said “EQUALISE” and voltage was 14.8. I’ve never noticed this before but granted I don’t look at my charge controller every day. Could be new, or maybe I just never noticed before, impossible to say. I know that 14.8 is the maximum charge an AGM should receive, but my concern is that I don’t know how high the “EQUALISE” voltage may go. My physical manual states that the SLD setting does have an “equalise” setting but max voltage of this setting is 14.6. So already 14.8 doesn’t seem right. Renogy have advised a different thing every time I ask them, they don’t seem to have a straight answer - the manual they sent me via live chat yesterday suggested SLD setting shouldn’t even have an equalise stage! So my question is - what setting should I use on a Rover charge controller for AGM batteries. Should I be worried that my manual states equalise stage is 14.6 but mine were charging at 14.8.

Any help really appreciated - I'm confused and quite stressed about it.

Thank you
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

Looking at the manual it is has a user program mode, so you can set it to what ever the battery manufacturer specifies.

Comment

• littleharbor2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

Good thing you caught it early. Your battery should be fine. Many AGM batteries rated for cycle duty can handle up to 15 volts.
      Check the voltage specs on your battery. If it shows cycle duty and standby duty. use the appropriate settings in Usr. (user defined) battery type setting. Turn off equalize setting..
      Check the settings on the left side of this battery

CSB 135 ah AGM battery (1).JPG
      Last edited by littleharbor2; 04-15-2024, 06:22 AM.
      2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• secessus
        • Apr 2020

“EQUALISE” and voltage was 14.8. I’ve never noticed this before but granted I don’t look at my charge controller every day.
        IIRC Renogy profiles with EQ enter that mode every 30 days after Absorption ("Boost") is complete.

There are at least three Rovers:
        • If the setup is 9 months old I assume you have the newer Rover-Li with the Li profiles in it. If so, the chart on page 30 of that manual suggests that the SLD profile doesn't EQ by default. The FLD profile (flooded) does have a 14.8V EQ. Any chance it's accidentally set to FLD?
        • Pre-Lithium Rover manuals show 14.6v EQ for SLD.
        • The Rover Elite appears to have the same SLD behavior as the Rover-Li
        On either of the plain rovers you can config the USER profile to do whatever you like as Bala suggested. The Elite doesn't allow it IIRC.
        Last edited by secessus; 04-19-2024, 12:12 PM. Reason: Removed stray url.

Comment

Working...