Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AWS
    • May 2016

System size

I see a number of posts on solar systems with 200/300 watts of panels and only a 30 ah battery. I have a single 100w panel and a two 35ah batteries that I might change out to a single 100ah battery. After a winter night of using the the cabin lights, charging phone/kindel and propane furnace my system goes into float mode around noon. I set up my system to be able to use the furnace for a couple days even winter camping in the PNW, think continuous rain for weeks.

Should I have gone for more panels and less battery. I pretty much only use the system at night, I don't spend daytime in the camper I'm out hunting, fishing or prospecting during the day.
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

If you're using FLA batteries, a 100 amp hour battery needs between 10 and 15% of its capacity to maintain healthy charging. So, Figure 10 to15 amps of charging. In your neck of the woods I would try to maintain a 15 amp PV array. so that on marginal days you still have a chance of meaningful charging. Sounds like a couple more 100 watt panels will take care of the battery/charging balance.
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor2
      If you're using FLA batteries, a 100 amp hour battery needs between 10 and 15% of its capacity to maintain healthy charging. So, Figure 10 to15 amps of charging. In your neck of the woods I would try to maintain a 15 amp PV array. so that on marginal days you still have a chance of meaningful charging. Sounds like a couple more 100 watt panels will take care of the battery/charging balance.
      I agree with you. Too many times people try to charge a battery system with a lot less amps then needed.

Comment

Working...