Blocking Diodes in the back of 100W Renogy Foldable Panel?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azimuth551
    • Aug 2023

Blocking Diodes in the back of 100W Renogy Foldable Panel?

Hello...first post on this site...I need some help with my Renogy 100W Eclipse Portable Panel. Last time out, I accidently blew the two blocking diodes at the back of each 50W panel. I need to replace these and I am struggling trying to get the correct size for the panel and Renogy will ot help. The two existing diodes blew apart and the only number on them is: '050 651'. My Solar Panel Specs: Renogy KIT-STCS100MB-NC; (2) 50w Panels make it 100W. Voc=21.6V; Isc=6.10A; Vmp=17.6V; Imp=5.68; Max V=600VDC. Some have said to use Schottky 15SQ045 Diodes. I can do that, but would that be appropriate for each 50W panel? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • PNPmacnab
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2016

I'm thinking you mean bypass diodes and the event was connecting these to a battery backwards. Only that would have enough current to blow them and you likely wouldn't have two blocking diodes for a folding panel. That diode would be appropriate in either case. Do you have a picture of how it is connected?

Comment

• azimuth551
      • Aug 2023

Diode Pic.jpgPanel Pic.jpg I was going to go ahead and order these: Bluestars 10A10 Schottky Barrier Rectifier Bypass Blocking Diodes to replace them. Rated at 10Amp and 1000V I believe they would be a good fit for my application. Please note that this is a foldable panel of 50W each to make 100W. Each 50W side has this diode in the back, reference the picture. If others disagree, please let me know, I'm not expert here, just trying to get my panel working again.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by azimuth551; 08-25-2023, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• PNPmacnab
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2016

DO NOT ORDER those 10A10 Schottky Barrier Rectifier Bypass Blocking Diodes. Those are not Schottky diodes and the 10A10 will have a forward voltage of 3/4 of a volt instead of around 0.25V.

Then again, it probably doesn't matter if you will only have a 12V array as they can never go into bypass mode unless you have several panels in series. The 10A10 will protect the panel from connecting it wrong. I use a lot of them and buy 500 at a time, less than a nickel each.

Comment

• azimuth551
          • Aug 2023

So would you suggest I get these diodes: 15SQ045 Diodes. On Amazon, it states that they are Schottly Diodes. One other person suggested getting these but I was not sure due to the 50W each panel. Thanks for your input, thats what I need.

Comment

• PNPmacnab
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2016

The 15SQ045 diodes are an exact electrical replacement and should be used if additional strings are ever used in series with a MPPT controller.

Comment

• azimuth551
              • Aug 2023

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I'll get these on order and install them.

Comment

• PNPmacnab
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2016

Remember tha band of the diode is on the positive side.

Comment

• azimuth551
                  • Aug 2023

Update: So I installed these 15SQ045 diodes and got my portable 100W panel working again. I tested several times charging a portable power pack so it works good. I then hooked it up to the trailer system that has the Bogart PWM controller, turned it on and it blew the diodes again. I changed out the positive breaker downstream from the PWM, replaced the diodes again and turned it on. It did not blow them, but I was not getting any amps from the panel. I measured the diodes with my multimeter in the sun and one of the diodes was changed/damaged. So I pulled out the PWM and all the crap Chinese breakers to rebuild this side of the system. I replaced the diodes with another set and got the panel working again. I might be wrong, but I think somehow the PWM was back-feeding current to the panel? Either way, I will upgrade to a Victron Controller so I can run portable panels when my roof is shaded. I was thinking of getting two 175Watt Flexible Panels which would fit my needs and easy for storage. But how could I still tie in the 100W panel with those 175W panels? Is it not worth it? Thanks again for any advice! Brent

Comment

Working...