X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kenclench
    • Aug 2023

Is 800w better than 520w?

Hi folks

When I ordered a Renogy system from a local supplier it was suppose to include 4x 200w panels to supply the two 200ah batteries. Everything came in, except for the panels. That’s when I got a call from the supplier (who would also hook up the system for an extra fee) that he had 2 used better panels than the four brand new ones I paid for. Knowing nothing about solar, I went with his suggestion. So, now I have 2 x 260w panels. On cloudy days I can’t help but think 800w would be better than 520w for charging power. Call me naive, but is there any way those two used REC panels that he says are so good could be better than 4 x 200 panels? Conveniently, the quote didn’t include the brand of the 200w panels. Honestly, I think I’ve been had, and am considering legal recourse. What say you!?
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Used 260 watt panels can be had for under 75 dollars these days. If those were 12 volt 200 watt panels they are probably 175 dollars a piece. Sorry to say it but you've been had.

​​​​​​https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-v...e-solar-panel/

Last edited by solar pete; 11-02-2023, 05:05 AM.
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kenclench
      Hi folks

When I ordered a Renogy system from a local supplier it was suppose to include 4x 200w panels to supply the two 200ah batteries. Everything came in, except for the panels. That’s when I got a call from the supplier (who would also hook up the system for an extra fee) that he had 2 used better panels than the four brand new ones I paid for. Knowing nothing about solar, I went with his suggestion. So, now I have 2 x 260w panels. On cloudy days I can’t help but think 800w would be better than 520w for charging power. Call me naive, but is there any way those two used REC panels that he says are so good could be better than 4 x 200 panels? Conveniently, the quote didn’t include the brand of the 200w panels. Honestly, I think I’ve been had, and am considering legal recourse. What say you!?
      What paperwork that looks like a contract that you signed actually say ?

Comment

• kenclench
        • Aug 2023

The bid that I signed, and the “accepted “ copy I have says 4x200w.
        move already asked for the four panels, with no
        reply from the merchant. Pretty sure I’ll be seeing him in SC court.

Comment

• MGE
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2013

More is better right?
          800w of solar is 30% more generating capacity than you presently have, so yeah you got short changed.

In the supplier's defense a single 260w panel is better than a 200w panel manufacturer notwithstanding.

260w panels are older compared to the higher producing ones seen around today.

I installed my system back in 2013 using 260w panels and just recently added a few more of the same wattage that I picked up on Clist for $69 apiece.

Been working fine for a month or so.

Sorry for your troubles.

Comment

• kenclench
            • Aug 2023

The guy tried convincing me that 520w was as good or better than 800w. I ended up getting two more panels, so I consider those matter settled. With all due respect to their knowledge and customer service (he was very helpful, while at the same time telling me I was wrong about the numbers) I won’t be going back. Will likely educate prospective customers if asked.

Comment

Working...