Charging, no controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging, no controller

Moved off the boat for 5 weeks and came back to dead batteries. New Brat Controller on order but in an effort to save the batteries, can I clamp the 50 watt solar panel leads directly to the batteries and monitor the charging progress manually? Panel is putting out 20 volts at the controller in direct sunlight.

Much thanks for your advice.

Bry

Chances are wiring a 50W panel directly to a battery can result in over charging and hurting the battery. But it the battery is already "hurt" then the panel may not be enough to help revive it. For that matter just about nothing can revived a dead battery

Comment

Thanks, SunEagle... maybe best to wait for the new Brat Controller to arrive.
      Bry

Comment

Originally posted by bcripps View Post
        Thanks, SunEagle... maybe best to wait for the new Brat Controller to arrive.
        Bry
        You never mentioned the type and size of your battery system or exactly how many watts you have to charge them.

Try to remember that a "forgotten" battery system will not stay healthy if it isn't watched.

Comment

I have two 80 amp batteries wired to two 50 watt panels through a Midnight Brat controller. Or at least I did have
          Bry

Comment

I have two 80 amp batteries wired to two 50 watt panels through a Midnight Brat controller. Or at least I did have
            Bry
            Those 2 50watt panels can provide (on a good day) about 6 amps of charging and you need at least 8 amps for one of those batteries or 16 if they are wired in parallel. My guess is that the batteries ran down and discharged too low and never got fully charged again.

For FLA type batteries you should have about a C/10 charge rate or 1/10 of the battery system Amphour rating. For Li chemistry batteries you really need to read what the manufacturer states as the required minimum amount of amps to charge it back to 100%.

So while your charger may not be keeping the batteries happy I really think you either use a smaller battery system or get more panel wattage

Comment

You can connect a panel directly to battery,. Just need to make sure you watch it carefully to ensure battery v does not go to high.

Comment

Originally posted by Bala View Post
                You can connect a panel directly to battery,. Just need to make sure you watch it carefully to ensure battery v does not go to high.
                I agree but a 50w panel is not going to recharge that 80ah battery unless they can get a lot of days of full sun and do not put a load on the battery. The battery will self drain but slowly unless there are a few days or no or little sun in a row. Also the direction of the panel makes a big difference in how many amps it can produce. My guess is that the panels are relatively flat mounted on the boat. But I am guessing at that detail.

Comment

Well down here in the tropics, there is no shortage of sun. You solar enthusiasts up north would be enviousness. But you are right SunEagle, the panels are flat mounted plus the boat is on a mooring and swings with wind and tide.

In the village today, I bought a 45 amp sealed car battery. Also, at the used marine equipment shop, I found an Ample Power Smart Regulator V2, a Wind Solar Hybrid Street Light Controller 1.0 and a Xantrex C-Series Multifunction C40 controller.

I run a fan that draws about an amp, and charge a phone and a computer on the boat. Pretty low requirements on a battery bank.

I have a Midnight Brat (PWM) controller coming and just looking for something to keep me going.

Any comments appreciated.

Bry

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I agree but a 50w panel is not going to recharge that 80ah battery unless they can get a lot of days of full sun and do not put a load on the battery. The battery will self drain but slowly unless there are a few days or no or little sun in a row. Also the direction of the panel makes a big difference in how many amps it can produce. My guess is that the panels are relatively flat mounted on the boat. But I am guessing at that detail.
                    Op has 2 x 50w panels, directly connected there will be no losses. Anything will be better than letting them sit flat

Comment

Originally posted by Bala View Post

Op has 2 x 50w panels, directly connected there will be no losses. Anything will be better than letting them sit flat
                      I agree that any type of charging is better then none. But once the batteries have failed or even gotten low IMO no amount of charging will help them. They will need to be replaced and the system better balance to keep them happy.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll just have to struggle along with what's available here. I'm hoping the two 50-watt panels can keep the 45-amp battery charged using the new Brat Controller. Not sure why the old Brat Controller died. Did the batteries die and kill the controller? Or the other way around?
                        Bey

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll just have to struggle along with what's available here. I'm hoping the two 50-watt panels can keep the 45-amp battery charged using the new Brat Controller. Not sure why the old Brat Controller died. Did the batteries die and kill the controller? Or the other way around?
                          Bey
                          Sometimes the controller may just fail or if the batteries did die then the controller may have had an issue not seeing the correct battery voltage and still be connected to solar panels.

Comment

Working...
                          X