Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old_Man
    • Feb 2018

Camper Shell Solar

Hi Y'all. I'm 68. I have a very clean '97 S10 (128000 original) with a camper shell. My intent is to use this as my camping vehicle for trout fishing trips, every year until I shuffle off to the astral plane. I've designed (well, not really designed, followed a basic design) a solar system to provide me with power for my LED strip lights and a car stereo system, mounted in the back.

I'll use these flexible panels https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803956794597.html
    This controller: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804541315663.html
    This battery: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...sc_act_image_1
    Some inverter but I'm not sure it's necessary, as I can charge everything on 12VDC.

Panels will remain stored (in the original boxes) until I arrive at my destination. I'll use suction cups to affix the panels to the top of the shell.

Any suggestions?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Depending on what you need to power that 30Ah battery may be too small for your loads and those 3 100 watt panels.

Oh and I doubt that the charger is really an MPPT at that low price.

Comment

• Old_Man
      • Feb 2018

Thanks for the caution, but It is MPPT. Look on Amazon. Same product. Only difference is where it's shipped from. Even reviews say so.

I will power two LED strip lights and a car stereo. Charge my phone and the walkies. No fridge, no A/C, no heater. What will I need more than 30 AH for? BTW, it is TWO 100-watt panels. I will mostly be camping alone. I have books. You know, those paper things with words on them? I want to listen to Live at Leeds and the Minor League baseball game (with the rule changes, I'm DONE with MLB). Maybe the Sunday Morning fishing report on KFBK.

I have done my energy audit. 30AH is plenty.
      Last edited by Old_Man; 01-16-2023, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Old_Man
        It is MPPT. Look on Amazon. Same product.

I will power two LED strip lights and a car stereo. No fridge, no A/C, no heater. What will I need more than 30 AH for? BTW, it is TWO 100-watt panels. I will mostly be camping alone. I have books. You know, those paper things with words on them? I want to listen to Live at Leeds and the Minor League baseball game (with the rule changes, I'm DONE with MLB). Maybe the Sunday Morning fishing report on KFBK.

I hate how people feel the need to swing it. ANYTHING that involves GEAR (guitars, cars, light airplanes, photography, fishing, hunting, boating, you name it) also seems to involve d***-swinging. I have done my energy audit. 30AH is plenty.
        I really think they are lying to you about it being an MPPT type CC. Just my opinion based on others purchasing cheap CC's that were posted as MPPT but were not.

A typically and safe charge rate for Lead Acid batteries is about 1/10th the Ah rating. From what I understand you can go higher with LI chemistry but it really depends on what the BMS indicates what is a safe charge rate.

And a 12V 30Ah battery has a total yield of 360watt hours and with an Li battery you might get 80% of that for each use which comes to less then 300watt hours and can be easily consumed every night. Especially with a cheap inverter which may use 10% of its wattage rating or about 20 watts if it is only rated 200watts.

Just be careful on what your loads are
        Last edited by SunEagle; 01-16-2023, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Old_Man
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle

Just be careful on what your loads are
          Well, I've listed the loads. Very small. In addition, budget is limited. Are you willing to donate the price difference between the 30AH and the 100?

Edit: Didn't think so.

I am a senior living on a VERY small fixed income. I cannot afford what you suggest. But I looked at the POWmr Web site (https://powmr.com/) and actually spoken with a tech rep in China (toll-free call!!!). I am convinced, and I'm as cynical as it gets. The guy was cool.
          Last edited by Old_Man; 01-16-2023, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Well, I've listed the loads. Very small. In addition, budget is limited. Are you willing to donate the price difference between the 30AH and the 100?

I am a senior living on a VERY small fixed income. I cannot afford what you suggest. But I looked at the POWmr Web site and actually spoken with a tech rep in China (toll-free call!!!). I am convinced, and I'm as cynical as it gets. The guy was cool.
            OK. You can measure the amps from the CC to the battery to make sure you are getting every amp it can deliver because if you drain the battery too low those panels will never get you back up to full charge. Just be careful and alert or you will be replacing that battery quickly.

Comment

• Old_Man
              • Feb 2018

OK. You can measure the amps from the CC to the battery to make sure you are getting every amp it can deliver because if you drain the battery too low those panels will never get you back up to full charge. Just be careful and alert or you will be replacing that battery quickly.
              For some reason you appear to think I'm going to be running electrical stuff all day and night. No, I am not. Most of the time, i'm going fishing. Honestly, I don't anticipate using up the battery. I mean c'mon, a couple LED strips and a car stereo with a small power amp? Efficient speakers (JBL). In summer, camping, how long do I expect to use the lights? I'll use the stereo mostly to listen to minor league baseball. I will have a single LED night light/lantern, but it will have its own battery. I am quite unconcerned.
              Last edited by Old_Man; 01-16-2023, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2016

For some reason you appear to think I'm going to be running electrical stuff all day and night. No, I am not. Most of the time, i'm going fishing. Honestly, I don't anticipate using up the battery. I mean c'mon, a couple LED strips and a car stereo with a small power amp? Efficient speakers (JBL). In summer, camping, how long do I expect to use the lights? I'll use the stereo mostly to listen to minor league baseball. I will have a single LED night light/lantern, but it will have its own battery. I am quite unconcerned.
                Yes, going fishing all day means you won't drain the battery at all. But listen to an extra innings baseball game and fishing report and maybe you will? No specs have been offered on your car stereo with amplifier (50watts x 4 channels maybe?), but let's say a 5A draw since it doesn't sound like it will be cranked up or pumping out bass. 30AH/5A is 6 hours to go from 100% to 0%. This doesn't seem like your likely use, but also not out of the realm of possibility.
                LED lights are probably insignificant, run them all night and not worry about them.
                Last edited by ewarnerusa; 01-17-2023, 12:30 PM.
                I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

• Old_Man
                  • Feb 2018

Two channel amp, volume certainly will not be cranked (unless NO ONE is there) and not for long. Ypu know, "My Generation," or "Won't Get Fooled Again (live versions, of course). I've always dreamed of waking up to "Baba O'Riley," with slowly but ever-increasing volume to the point where the truck is shaking and the furry desert (or wherever) creatures go scurrying. Then the band suddenly stops and it's silent, again. That'd be cool.

And yes, if it's too loud, you're too old (and I'm 68).
                  Last edited by Old_Man; 01-17-2023, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Old_Man
                    • Feb 2018

Depending on what you need to power that 30Ah battery may be too small for your loads and those 3 100 watt panels.

Oh and I doubt that the charger is really an MPPT at that low price.
                    Cheaper from China. It's only $50, if it's dog**** I'll replace it.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Cheaper from China. It's only $50, if it's dog**** I'll replace it.
                      If it came from China IMO you will have to replace it soon

Comment

• Old_Man
                        • Feb 2018

If it came from China IMO you will have to replace it soon
                        Dude, they ALL come from China. As I said, it's $50 bucks. If it fails, lesson learned. But I've read a LOT of reviews from a lot of places. Most of them are good. From many countries, not just the US.

You really don't like me, do you?

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Dude, they ALL come from China. As I said, it's $50 bucks. If it fails, lesson learned. But I've read a LOT of reviews from a lot of places. Most of them are good. From many countries, not just the US.

You really don't like me, do you?
                          Who said I don't like you? All I know is that a lot of hardware made in China as opposed to other oriental nations fail an early death. I just don't trust them but I applaud people that are trying to build something that lasts

Comment

• Old_Man
                            • Feb 2018

Who said I don't like you? All I know is that a lot of hardware made in China as opposed to other oriental nations fail an early death. I just don't trust them but I applaud people that are trying to build something that lasts
                            You seem confrontational. It's unnecessary and honestly, counterproductive. But I have news you'll like - I have decided on two things - Ground mounted instead of roof. Also, I found a 12v 50AH battery I can afford. For the 100AH, I'll need donations.

71ZCJS0KCML._AC_SS450_.jpg
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Old_Man
                              • Feb 2018

Comment

Working...