X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derajnewo360
    • Jun 2022

Seeking help with adding a 2nd 100w panel to my portable power station. TIA

Hello everyone and Happy new year!

I have a WattFun 298wh portable power station that is equipped with a MPPT charge controller and has a max input of 100 watts and 12-24V. I’ve been charging it with a Togo power 100w 18v 5.5 amp solar panel that maxes out at about 65 watts. There is so much to learn, which is exciting but can be overwhelming. I’ve come here looking for some knowledge on the best way to get up closer to that 100 watt input, and maximize efficiency in the shade and in cloudy conditions.

I recently bought a 2nd panel identical to the first to try to maximize the wattage, especially in cloudy/shade conditions. I have been educating myself on wiring them in parallel to not exceed the voltage, but I’m still unsure if the amps would be too high for it to charge?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!!

Last edited by Derajnewo360; 01-02-2023, 03:26 AM.
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

A few things.

Even though they say it an MPPT cc is may not be and that may be why you are seeing 65w from your panel.

They specify 100w Max, that mat be a limit of the cc or it may a limit for the battery and bms.

If you parallel another panel and get a nice clear cold day with the sun in the right place you may well exceed 100w and possibly damage the controller or battery.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2016

It does seem a little weird to say MPPT controller but then have a max input voltage of 12-24V. I'm also not up to speed on LiPO4 charging behavior and I know that they are supposed to accept higher charging amps. But if it was a lead acid battery situation, I would ask how low the SOC is on the battery when you measured the charging current. Because in a LA battery situation the CC only delivers what is needed to maintain the voltage at the charging setpoint, meaning you won't see max charging capacity unless the battery was low enough SOC to accept it.
      I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

Working...