Better 50W or 100W panels for glamping/camping?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sidpost
    • Mar 2022

Better 50W or 100W panels for glamping/camping?

I have been looking primarily at GoalZero panels but, Xtar direct seems to offer a better priced equivalent option. Renogy is heavy advertised and then there are general Google search panel options.

I need to find good quality panels at a reasonable price in something other than the typical 300W~450W 72cell options! Most 50W panels I have looked at suggest 3 in series is a good match for the 100V VOC limit of the charger I plan to use.

Being targeted at camping and needing portability, I am thinking about the common ~2'x~2' panels so they are easy to pack and move around. Initially I am thinking I will use my vehicle lead acid battery for storage and a Victron Bluetooth 100V/20A charge controller which will allow me to use the Load out for some direct drive usage. I plan on using a Samlex 300W or 600W inverter to drive things like a laptop charger. I am using dual Marine batteries on my large panels at my farm so, I have some practical experience I have the basics down pretty good for charge cycles, sun exposure relative to solar production, and working with lead and LiFePo4 batteries and related BMS and chargers for general background.

I will be using this system a lot in Minnesota around Labor Day so, solar exposure will be limited (hours and intensity) meaning something like the GoalZero Nano 20W just isn't practical for anything useful. I live in Texas and am familiar with Signature Solar so, getting panels and other stuff from them is super easy for me but, everything is way too big.

What are my better solar panel options?

TIA,
    Sid
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

These look like what you are looking for.
    HQST 10W 20W 30W 50W 100W 12V Poly Solar Panel PV Power Module Marine Trolling | eBay
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• PNPmacnab
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2016

When I think camping, I think trees and shade. You may be better off with more smaller panels in parallel. My system runs in extreme shade and even shaded panels can produce power. That won't happen in series.

Comment

• chrisski
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2020

I'm a bit late to the party, but I have found no inexpensive option for 50w or 100w panels, even off Craigslist.

I use a 100 watt portable panel I get from Walmart for about $210 shipped US, the Lion Energy 12 volt 100 watt panels. 25 LBS each, but built solid. I can not build these things for less money than that company charges for the panel. They can be built for less, but they won't be as solid such as no hinges and latches to fold in half for storage or perhaps a cheap set of legs.

You do have the right idea that if you ignore cost, 100 watt panels are so much better for energy production for most camping setups. You'll only get 180 watts or so per meter square, and that 300 watt panel is pretty big, hard to move and hard to find space to store.

Comment

• Mike 134
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2022

I use these when camping, 2 of them hinged like a suitcase and portable so they can be placed in the sun.
          Amazon.com : Renogy Solar Panel 100 Watt 12 Volt, High-Efficiency Monocrystalline PV Module Power Charger for RV Marine Rooftop Farm Battery and Other Off-Grid Applications, RNG-100D-SS, Single 100W : Patio, Lawn & Garden
          Amazon.com: Renogy 10 Amp 12V/24V PWM Negative Ground Solar Charge Controller Compact Design w/LCD Display for AGM, Gel, Flooded and Lithium Battery, Wanderer 10A : Everything Else

Comment

• sidpost
            • Mar 2022

To follow up, I ended up ordering the Renogy 120W Portable Solar Panel which folds up in half on a Black Friday sale. Should serve me well and packs up reasonably compact.

Comment

• Calsun
              • Oct 2022

I bought panels for my motorhome from Home Depot and direct from Renology. Cost was half that of going to a small solar dealer. Important to determine the height of the frame and match that to the attachment mounts for the roof. A lot comes down to available real estate on the roof. I was able to put three 100 Watt panels and one 180 Watt panel on the roof of my motorhome. The larger the capacity or output of the panel the lower the cost per Watt. Important also not to have a panel shaded by a AC or other item like a Wifi booster on the roof.

The charge controller is also a consideration in terms of number of input ports available and maximum Watts it can handle and voltage for each input. The factory controller that came with my motorhome could handle up to 500 Watts and rather than install a new unit I kept my panels' output to less than that amount.

When I changed out the lead acid batteries for lithium-phosphate ones I would charge the new batteries at a higher voltage and so less time was required to get them back to 100% SOC. The new batteries can be safely discharged t0 10% SOC unlike the FLAT batteries that should not be discharged below 50% SOC. I doubled the available capacity of my two house batteries with the lithium-phosphate ones.

Comment

• sidpost
                • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Calsun
                I was able to put three 100 Watt panels and one 180 Watt panel on the roof of my motorhome. The larger the capacity or output of the panel the lower the cost per Watt. Important also not to have a panel shaded by a AC or other item like a Wifi booster on the roof.
                Make sure the voltage of those panels all match unless you have multiple inputs on your charge controller! That 180W panel may cause problems for the other 3x100W panels if connectted in parallel or series.

Comment

• AmyJones
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2022

Your leisure battery is typically charged with a solar panel or other attachment, and it is this stored energy that you use. Expecting a solar panel to directly power high-power appliances like an electric kettle or a toaster is unrealistic. Instead, it can use the battery to power a 12V DC TV, lights, or a water pump. It can also use an inverter to work with low wattage mains-powered televisions.

You typically have more alternatives when camping in a bigger tent, caravan, trailer tent, or motorhome.

Comment

• Old_Man
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor2
                    These look like what you are looking for. <snip massive URL />
                    I bought an HQST 100-watt high-efficiency 100-watt monocrystalline panel. It's square instead of the usual rectangular and thus, a lot easier to handle. I'm using a rooftop mount but the panel won't be traveling at freeway speeds, it'll be safe on my bed, next to the float tube. The mount will be attached with clear roofing sealer. Out in the boonies, it'll be great for my needs. No hair dryer, microwave or other high-draw items unless you consider a modern JVC head a heavy draw. JBL speakers all around.

Comment

• AWS
                      • May 2016

For my wife's Pleasureway we have a Renology 100w suitcase and I set up the controler in a pelican case with quick connects to the house battery, when my wife was using a sleep apnea machine(12v) we had power to run the Fantastic fan, her machine and lights(changed to all LED) and we could camp for as long as we wanted to stay, usually at a hotsprings in NV. One thing nice about this set up you could park the rv in the shade and put the solar panel in the sun.

Comment

• nomadh
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

I started off with a 100w panel charge controller and a gel lead acid battery. I found that I was getting very little charge between the trees and shade moving. I found that the best answer was to hook it to my car when driving somewhere every few days. Worked great for charging phones ipods and watching a DVD at night

Comment

Working...