Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panels on the caravan

Hi all,

we have just purchased a caravan that has solar panels on the roof. We are thinking of covering the caravan when not in use to protect the caravan. Will the cover effect the panels or battery? Is there a time (like it needs 3 days a month of sunlight) to maintain it effectiveness.

I’m very new to this so any advice would be great.

thanks.

What type of batteries do you have? Flooded lead acid batteries need to be topped off at least once a month if not more often. AGM batteries are better at sitting idle before needing charged. LiFePo4 / Lithium batteries are better left partially charged and don't need charging between trips. This is all based on the battery bank being COMPLETELY disconnected from any loads. Things like clocks or red flashing security lights will draw down the battery. If you have an isolated house battery, separate from the starting battery you should be able to have a disconnect in line with your house battery.
    Can you have a clear panel sewn into your cover and if so will the Caravan be sitting in the sun?
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

If covered the panels will produce nothing. As for the batteries it really depends on the chemistry as littleharbor2 states.

Comment

Thanks for you reply. I think the panels are working through the cover. Here are a few photos of the panel and battery

I feel that there was a light near the solar picture when the sun was out. Does that sound correct?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bjl49 View Post
          Thanks for you reply. I think the panels are working through the cover. Here are a few photos of the panel and battery

I feel that there was a light near the solar picture when the sun was out. Does that sound correct?
          The photos are of no help. Whether you get some voltage through the cover it will have no usable current. Next time you are ready to improve your system you need to get a better charge controller. The one you have isn't worth the $10.00 or less you paid for it.

Comment

Apologies. As I mentioned at the start of this post this is all very new to me. This is the unit that was in the van when purchased. I’m very much a novice. I’m just trying to see if coving the van in period off non use is going to be ok. What should I look at to be able to make this decision?
            Last edited by bjl49; 09-29-2022, 05:03 PM.

Comment

You look to have an AGM battery. If when putting the van away and if you have the battery fully charged you should disconnect the positive battery terminal. If stowing the van for 3 months or less you'll be fine. Otherwise take the battery with you

Comment

Working...
              X