Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alpha-y2k
    • Apr 2020

Is solar being idle a bad thing?

So I have 2x 100 watt, 24v panels in parallel. I have a 50ah LiFE battery. I also have a Renogy Rover Elite 40a 12v/24v controller. It reads amps incoming, volts incoming, battery volts, kwh, and temp, so I can keep a close eye on things, which I do just that, sometimes to excess.

I have three 12v six inch fans, and a phone, and a 9" color tv.

This setup is a bit overkill, but the panels were a good price and I'm getting anywhere from 3.0a incoming on a very cloudy day, to 9.8a incoming when sun is out incoming, and 19v - 21v incoming.

The most I run on it right now are, 2x clip fans that are rated .08amps, 10watts, and sometimes I run all three. I do this mainly at night to keep cool, as my ac is out, and to keep the van as cool as possible in summer by pushing air out. I rarely, if at all use my 9"color tv. I charge my phone at least nightly, and sometimes during the day, but mostly at night.

So that given, I have heard that not running anything can wear a battery down as much as using it to much. Of course with my limited knowledge I'm not an expert in this, so I have to go off what I read or ​hear.

Is this a true statement or just more rumors and myths going around?

If it IS true, me having so little running on this setup, is there a solution or way to combat this issue?

I'd like to keep my setup as long as possible and with my OCD, I tend to keep a very very close eye on things ie: amps, voltage, connections, etc, that I want to keep things running as optimal as possible at all times.
    Last edited by Alpha-y2k; 05-22-2022, 04:31 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Batteries, lead acid, made for daily cycle use, benefit from at least being cycled weekly

But you indicate you have a Li battery, which is happiest being cycled or floated, between 30% and 80% of full charge. Your battery manual will tell you what those voltages are. You may need to adjust the setpoints of your charge controller to get to 30-80%
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Alpha-y2k
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Mike90250
      Batteries, lead acid, made for daily cycle use, benefit from at least being cycled weekly

But you indicate you have a Li battery, which is happiest being cycled or floated, between 30% and 80% of full charge. Your battery manual will tell you what those voltages are. You may need to adjust the setpoints of your charge controller to get to 30-80%
      Right, mine is within that range, in fact it sits pretty full most times. I got up this morning and it was sitting at 14.4 which is topped out.

Problem is, I'm not running much on it, and right now there is a cold front here for the next week, so it's sitting at like 70 degrees for the high, and 45 degrees at night, so I'm literally only charging my phone with this system, everything else is idle.

If it's true that letting a system sit idle and that it can be as bad on battery life as draining it to much, then it sitting idle right now is affecting the life of the battery, at least according to what I've seen/read
      Maybe It's just a rumor or myth, that's why I was asking, because if it is a rumor, then it setting idle right now is nothing to worry about.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

14.4V is very high for a Li battery to stay at for any length of time. Setting your controller to 13.5V will be a much better voltage for Li batteries. Li does not care if it's cycled daily, only if it's under or over charged- both of which are damaging.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...