Solar Panel or Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panel or Controller?

I got a new solar panel to replace the one that blew off the roof of my motorhome. Because the original panel mfr. is out of business (Global Solar Energy), I replaced with a compatible panel from GoPower. I now have four 100W panels with outputs of 17.6V and 5.7A. ea., wired in parallel. The tech confirmed each panel performs at rated output. The feed wires (10Ga) off the roof to the controller reads about 18.V, but when I connect them to the Schneider C40 controller, voltage across the terminals is 7.45V. Before connecting to the controller, amperage across wires reads 2.3A. measuring the entire array, of course. I replaced the controller...but still get the same readings with the new one. My 8 new Lifeline batteries are discharged to the 12.3V range so the controller should be functioning. The remote reads zero amps and the status light blinks regularly sometimes, then I get a double blink, followed by a pause. A steady blink is supposed to indicate charging, but....no amps are going into the batteries. Any ideas where to check next? Could I have a bad diode up there?

Only thing you can do is start taking things apart and measuring.

I’d climb up on the roof and unplug each panel and see if voltage is good. Then go to the combiner box and do the same thing. Then down to the SCC. This could take hours, depending on the set up and going up and down the roof.

I suspect that the panel blowing away did something to the wiring. It could also be something after the controller and unconnected to the panel blowing off like a blown fuse or shunt.

I see you mentioned using a tech. I’m not sure how much work he could have put into it. RV work in my area is pretty expensive. Collision is $150 per hour for labor. I don’t know electrical troubleshooting, but that’s usually pretty close in price.

Comment

Thanks...a couple more things. The tech at the shop was a newbie and I had to coach him on almost everything. So why was I paying him $164/hr for this work? For instance, he mounted the new one cross-wise, vs longitudinally like the original ones. Then one ME-4 connector was bad, so I ordered new ones and he installed one of them. The array was working intermittently right after he finished, but then quit a few days later. I would love to go up there and fix myself, but age and medical issues won't permit me to do so......The original owner paid $5000 to have this installed and when I bought the coach from him I thought it was a joke. I think this proves it!

Comment

Working...
      X