Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Using a camping trailer in winter

Wife got a 27' trailer, and wants to use it in winter. The Fresh, Gray and Black water tanks underneath are exposed and I fear they will freeze up after a couple of cold days. I know the standard solution is to slap on a couple hundred watts of heat mats, but I don't have the power to run them ( not parked in a campground with shore power ).

Suggestions ? Wild ideas ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I have always emptied the Black & Grey tanks in my RV if it sat long or we had a cold snap. The fresh water tank is another issue that you might handle like an outside faucet where you open the drain valve and let it drip but I would think that may be a lot of work for you.

Comment

• chrisski
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2020

I’m assuming you mean camping and not storing.

In Arizona not much of a problem for freezing. I have been out a few times where water on the ground will freeze overnight, but will melt when the sun comes out. My tanks were fine for that. I did have the heater running all night to 74, so that took care of the indoor pipes from freezing.

Storing is a different story. I just drain RV everything as mentioned. If I were in a colder environment, I would need to flush the pipes and there’s various drains along the pipes to open and I guess I’d add compressed air for that.

THere’s also skirting for the underside if you will be at this place for the season, but this is not a weekend solution.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Actually more like a spare bedroom, so it's parked and being used. But the insulation is "scant" and I don't know if a 7 gall propane tank will run all night when it's really cold. Skirting is an idea, it would cut the wind down, but not much more.

And the Absorption Fridge, has to go. It's a nice sized one ( 8cf) , but eats nearly 4kwh daily - I had no idea they were that bad.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Bala
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Actually more like a spare bedroom, so it's parked and being used. But the insulation is "scant" and I don't know if a 7 gall propane tank will run all night when it's really cold. Skirting is an idea, it would cut the wind down, but not much more.

And the Absorption Fridge, has to go. It's a nice sized one ( 8cf) , but eats nearly 4kwh daily - I had no idea they were that bad.
          I had a 3 way absorption fridge in out caravan, elements were 160w and in ambient temps over 35c it could not stay cold enough even on propane. So after nearly 5K aud for a new 130l 12v fridge freezer, 200Ah drop in lithium some victron gear, another redarc BCDC and more cable ect I now have a great setup. At least 2 days of autonomy but never really needed as I have plenty of solar as well.

Comment

• chrisski
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2020

My absorption RV fridge uses next to no propane in the winter. If you don't want to do propane, by all means get rid of it, but if a few cents of propane a day is worth it, than keep it. I think in the summer, the same fridge may get as much as a gallon of day of propane.

For my 35' RV, two tanks will last me at least 5 days and 4 nights with night time temps of 25 and day time temps around 60. I don't know what size a 7 gallon tank is. I think my tanks are 30 LBS and I've put as much as 5 Gallons in them.

Those in RV parks for the winter have skirts and huge propane tanks, like 100 LBS or greater. Skirts I don't know if its more than just the wind, but with these RVs I can see it being good keeping the heat that escapes through the floor and keeping pipes from freezing. If its cold outside and I'm sitting in my slideout with socks, I can feel the heat espcaping through the floor with my mighty cold feet.

Comment

• AWS
              • May 2016

We just drain and winterize everything, carry five gallon jugs of water inside and use a 50/50 mix of RV anti-freeze and water to flush the toilet. I have the dump pipe heat taped and insulated if AC is available.

Comment

• Old_Man
                • Feb 2018

Wife got a 27' trailer, and wants to use it in winter. The Fresh, Gray and Black water tanks underneath are exposed and I fear they will freeze up after a couple of cold days. I know the standard solution is to slap on a couple hundred watts of heat mats, but I don't have the power to run them ( not parked in a campground with shore power ).

Suggestions ? Wild ideas ?
                Move someplace warmer?

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Old_Man

Move someplace warmer?
                  You do know that Mike has passed away a couple of months ago so he probably won't be answering that post.

Comment

• Old_Man
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle

You do know that Mike has passed away a couple of months ago so he probably won't be answering that post.
                    Apologies, I'm still pretty new.

Comment

Working...