Two panels fitted at different angles on van roof?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jp11
    • Jan 2021

Two panels fitted at different angles on van roof?

I'm contemplating fitting two 175w Renogy flexibles on the roof of my high-roof Mk8 Transit. This van has a large sloping section to the front of the roof above the windscreen (sorry, I'm from Ireland), windshield if you like. This to make use of low sun angle when parked (we have a lot of low sun here!, and very often no sun).
    This may produce differing outputs from both panels. Will that be an issue?
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

You may connect them in parallel since the voltage varies little with sun intensity.
    Series NO, since they will usually produce different currents. Bruce Roe

Comment

• jp11
      • Jan 2021

OK Bruce, yes I would have them in parallel. So I guess they'd simply be producing different wattage?

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Watt = V x A, so different amps (depending on sun) will give different wattage. Bruce Roe

Comment

• jp11
          • Jan 2021

Ah, thanks Bruce. Of course, a light bulb moment for me. The panels produce current, not watts. Watts are what we consume?

Comment

• Weldman
            • Oct 2019

And of the two panels the one producing the most wattage/amps will be dragged down by the one getting the least amount.
            1.2 kWh solar 10.56 kWh battery @ 24v in a RV

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Weldman
              And of the two panels the one producing the most wattage/amps will be dragged down by the one getting the least amount.
              If you mean best sun panel voltage dragged down when in parallel, does not happen.
              The best sun panel is operated about 80% of open circuit voltage for the most power.
              The poor sun panel will also try to reach open circuit voltage, but when it hits the 80%
              value, it will contribute its minimal output current to the load. Neither panel takes
              power from the other. If they could, practice would be to include blocking diodes, but
              that is not required. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by bcroe

If you mean best sun panel voltage dragged down when in parallel, does not happen.
                The best sun panel is operated about 80% of open circuit voltage for the most power.
                The poor sun panel will also try to reach open circuit voltage, but when it hits the 80%
                value, it will contribute its minimal output current to the load. Neither panel takes
                power from the other. If they could, practice would be to include blocking diodes, but
                that is not required. Bruce Roe
                This is true when both panels have similar Vmp. ( another thread has a poster with a ~250W panel & ~80W panel, which are not likely to match well
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250

This is true when both panels have similar Vmp. ( another thread has a poster with a ~250W panel & ~80W panel, which are not likely to match well
                  Yes, the beginning post stated 2 apparently identical panels. To match up operating
                  voltage, I go more by the number of cells, than the single point published Vmp. Here
                  a string of 10 each 72 cell panels is paralleled with a string of 12 each 60 cell panels.
                  Bruce Roe

Comment

• jp11
                    • Jan 2021

So are we saying that there is no benefit in mounting one of the two identical panels at a different angle?

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jp11
                      So are we saying that there is no benefit in mounting one
                      of the two identical panels at a different angle?
                      That is too simplistic a statement. I have panels mounted at 3 different orientations
                      and 3 different angles, driven by things like my inverter sizes, net metering agreement,
                      and the frequent clouds. What works for me is not optimized for you. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...