Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Garden Allotment Shed set up, what could go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Garden Allotment Shed set up, what could go wrong?

Hi,

My first Solar Adventure and I am wondering if an experienced eye could check to see if what I am thinking makes sense?

I have a pure sine wave controller (Innovatronix XT) that is 24v producing 350watts continuous and up to 2400 watts burst. It contains 2 x 12v 7ah Batteries (in series) with a facility to add an Auxiliary Battery for additional Ah. The connector into this pure sine wave inverter is from the auxiliary is an NAC3FCA Neutrik 20A powercon connector.

Ok, so I am thinking as there is not auxiliary battery to purchase for this set up (as it is very old) so I hoped to make one to make one and to run this, with solar power so they work in unison.

I have purchased 2 x 30w cheap flexible panels which have a rating of 12-18Volts and about 800Ma output each.
    I thought to run them in series to generate 24 – 36 volts , and run them down through a 20A Solar controller that is said to be able to handle 12 and 24v to 2x 12v 12Ah batteries set in series to act as the Auxiliary Battery producing 24v and 12Ah

The input to the inverter that also has it’s own batteries 24v x 7ah is via the Powercon connection mentioned c and it says it can stand 24-28v and 20A draw.

The wire I will use will me above 2.5mm and run about 3 metres return (2x1.5 metres from the battery)

I’m wondering if this sounds workable, or if there are any issues I have missed?
    It seems the solar panels only kick out 800ma each, which I realise won’t be doubled by the series connection.

Any thoughts. Part of my choices are to keep costs down to use the Sine wave inverter I have as I won’t need much other than some cameras and the possibly a 15w LED TV later and a phone charger.

Nick

Hello Bisk and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Unless you plan on only using about 50 watt hours a day (24v x 7ah x 30% = 50 wh) your batteries are too small and will quickly drain in one day.

Also if you increase your battery Ah system you will also have to increase the panel wattage and charging amps to be able to provide about 1/10th the battery system Ah rating.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 01-27-2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X