Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justsomedan
    • Jan 2021

Solar charger for truck battery with high drain

Hi all. New to the forum, so I am hoping that this is the most appropriate area for this question.

Dad has a 2007 F350 diesel. The truck has a pretty high draw that we haven't tracked down yet, and the truck isn't used frequently, so we are fighting dead batteries from time to time. He has a Coleman 20W panel that he plugs into the cigarette lighter, and it doesn't seem to help. Did some poking around this week... I doubt that I waited until all of the computers had "gone to sleep", but I was seeing about 0.3A draw with the truck off. I checked the solar panel where we had it propped up in the rear window - voltage but no amps. If I put the panel outside the truck facing intense, mid-day sunshine, I was only able to see 0.17A. But inside the truck, the windows are too tinted, so I was only able to generate a current with the panel on the dash facing up through the windshield, and even then, it was only 0.03A.

We can put new batteries in the truck again, but that is a band-aid. My brother and I will poke around to see if we can find the drain, but from what I have read, these trucks tend to draw enough that they are hard on batteries anyway. Where dad has to park the truck has no electrical. So options are battery shut offs under the hood, or (hopefully) a solar solution...

Can anyone suggest a solar panel/system that would provide about 0.5A? I think that level of current during the day would more-or-less break even on the draw, even if it stays close to the 0.3A that I saw. And - is there a panel that would perform well enough to keep it in the cab? I'm guessing that the rear tinted windows are just too much, but maybe its just this panel? I will insist that he gets a regular on this panel to ensure that he doesn't over-charge. But I'm hoping to find something that we can mount on the rear deck and leave installed to permanently offset the drain.
    Also - I would intend to wire this direct to the batteries. Do you think we're losing much power by going back into the cigarette lighter socket? Its handy because it all stays in-cab, and I have confirmed that the plug is not switched, so it does allow us to feed power back into the system..
    That panel he has is rated 20 watts, and short-circuit current 1.3A, but based on the physical measurements that I made, I cannot image a sunny enough day to achieve either of those specs. That makes me leery of trying to find an alternative that works based only on the specifications.

Thanks in advance!
    danr
    Saskatoon, Canada
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Does that truck have 2 batteries for cranking, or just one ?

For solar panels to work, you need clear bright sun. Even the windshield will cut at least 10% off the harvest.

your .17A @ 12v is only 2.04 watts
    to obtain .5A, you would need to harvest 6 watts, or something like a 100w panel, and that starts getting really big & clunky

I'll fix that drain or get a battery cut off switch
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• azdave
      • Oct 2014

I have an E350 van that sees road time about once every 2-3 weeks (usually short trips too) and had the same low battery issues when I went to use it. I have a 20W panel on the dash board that does fine to keep the battery topped but the panel doesn't get full sun all day due to the house and trees where it is parked. I keep a small, digital battery meter plugged into the accessory power port so when I walk past the van I can see if the battery level is okay charged. The panel was a garage sale find at $5 instead of $45-$60 online.
      Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• justsomedan
        • Jan 2021

Thanks for the replies. Mike - I agree with what you're saying, and that's what I expected. But I see that you're a moderator here, so perhaps you can help me understand this a bit. Is my data typical? ie) a panel rated at 20 watts only putting out a fraction of that? If that is the case, then my neighbour with panels on his roof isn't running much more than a few lightbulbs at best. I am assuming that some cells/panels are better than others, but I really expected to get double-digit watts out of a panel with 20W rating once the panel was out of the truck and facing the sun.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Depends on the quality of the panel and the clarity of the sky and sun. If you were in Ecuador, 6,000 feet up on a mountain, at noon, you might get 15 - 20 watts from a well functioning panel.

I'm in Northern California, and on a good winter day, get 2100 watts off my 3kw array. You are further north, with more atmospheric soup, and I would not expect more than 10W in the very best conditions. A little haze, or a windshield, will quickly cut that in half.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Just like real estate. location location location is important to solar generation.

Depending on how far from the equator and how much valuable sun you get will determine the amount of watts that can be converted to electricity.

A clear sunny sky with the panels pointed directly at the sun gets you the most output. Anywhere else reduces the % output a lot.

Comment

• justsomedan
              • Jan 2021

Thanks, all. This is great info. Saskatchewan has a reputation for clear blue skies and lots of sunshine. Obviously the summer days have a lot more hours, but the sun is generally intense in winter, just less each day. I didn't realize that geography had such an impact. It really does make me wonder how much actual power folks are getting from their rooftop setups.

Appreciate it!
              danr

Comment

Working...