Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eloha7
    • Dec 2020

Powering Rv with solar panels without battery

I am about to buy an Rv and I want to go with solar system. I already own a solar generator. So my question is it is possible to connect some panels directly to the Rv and charge my solar generator who will give power during night time?
    If it is possible how do I connect my panels to the Rv?
    Thanks
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

There is no such thing as a solar generator, unless it's a Stirling Cycle engine run from solar heat.

You may have a solar charged battery, powering an inverter. The inverter may be a cheap Mod Sine, or an expensive Pure Sine inverter.

You can add more solar PV panels ( not solar hot water panels) to recharge the battery faster - but batteries have a max charge rate, and most prefab kits do not have any extra Charge Controller overhead to handle more panels.

So, a bit more detail about your solar power station, and what loads you expect to power from it.
    It's better to use the loads right off your power station, than go through the inefficient process of recharging ANOTHER battery ( in the RV) when you could use the power station and get 20% more use from the stored power.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Eloha7
      • Dec 2020

Tanks for your answer.
      I have a Leoch (solar generator) and I have 2 panels of 300w to recharge the Leoch. Now I want to have more panels (2 of 300w maybe) on my Rv and connect them directly to my RV without batteries to use the energy directly during the day and use my Eloch during the night.
      So If I understand correctly I will need an inverter and a charge controller ? Or I just need the inverter connected to the Rv?
      The thing is I don't find any info about connecting solar panel on an Rv without battery.
      I feel so newbie.

Comment

• bob-n
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2019

Leoch Battery is a Hong Kong based manufacturer of various types of batteries. They also make a box containing a batteries plus inverter and charger, that also has a solar input. Some call it a generator, even though that's stretching the definition of generator.
        2,048Wh Capacity | 4*2,000W AC Outputs | 13 Outputs | Solar MPPT| 3000+ Cycles | 900W Power Input | Check out 'LEOCH: The Next Generation Battery Power Station!' on Indiegogo.

I think that Eloha7 is asking whether there is such a thing as an inverter that runs directly off panels, without having a battery in between.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• Bala
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eloha7
          Tanks for your answer.
          I have a Leoch (solar generator) and I have 2 panels of 300w to recharge the Leoch. Now I want to have more panels (2 of 300w maybe) on my Rv and connect them directly to my RV without batteries to use the energy directly during the day and use my Eloch during the night.
          So If I understand correctly I will need an inverter and a charge controller ? Or I just need the inverter connected to the Rv?
          The thing is I don't find any info about connecting solar panel on an Rv without battery.
          I feel so newbie.
          For an RV I know of no simple or practical solution to running panels without a battery.

Yous solar generator is really just a lithium battery, solar charge controller and inverter built into a box. What you are able to do depends on how much power you wish to use during the day.

There are a lot of variables so you need to determine how much power in Wh/KWh you are looking to use and go from there.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2016

It is hard to say what your goals are as "powering" your RV. Since you say you are about to buy one, my hunch is that you are new to RVs and their power systems.
            block1.gif
            I took this diagram from a very informative website for how your RV will most likely operate. This is the standard, if yours is different then it is unusual. I suggest giving it a read.

Solar in an RV application comes in as another 12V charging source, a parallel component of the box directly below the "battery" box in the diagram. You can install solar on your RV and technically be "powering" everything during the solar charging part of a day, provided that your power loads are less than what your panels can harvest during that time. Anytime your power loads are less than what your panels can harvest, the excess power goes towards recharging your RV batteries. The diagram does not include an inverter, which is a component that inverts your battery's 12V DC power to 120V AC power that you can use to power your RV's 120V AC loads.
            I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

• khanh dam
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2019

open up your solar "generator" and tell us what voltage and amps the battery is or call the manufacturer and get them to tell you.
              2nd step tell us how many watts per day you use by looking at your electrical appliances
              3rd step calculate how many rainy days you want of back up power
              4th step implement knowledge gained and buy either more batteries and/or panels to reach your goal.

Comment

Working...