Finally some progress on my RV solar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

FWIW, having done a fair amount of structural design as well as more than a little experience in design of weldments, what a bracket is attached to is often at least as important as the bracket, and the weldment is often the critical part of the considerations. I once caught a neophyte designer spending a couple hrs. designing a lifting lug and weld good for >> than design called for and would be welded to a 16 ga. steel pressure vessel wall that would fail if the lug were place where the designer intended. He hadn't learned the bigger picture yet.
    If it is something that you may consider taking on as a project I would be most happy to come to you if you are within a day or two drive.

Comment

More progress. All of the panels are up. Now on to wiring them back to the electrical cabinet.Bus solar 008sm.jpg

Comment

The big picture:

Bus solar 009sm.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post

If it is something that you may consider taking on as a project I would be most happy to come to you if you are within a day or two drive.
          Thank you or the offer, but I'm retired.

My comment was meant to suggest when welding attachments like brackets to a structure or fixture, also consider the strength of what the bracket is welded to and what the weld will do to the fixture. As in, don't weld a lifting lug to the roof of your car without checking to see if the subsequent lift will leave the lug attached to the roof but tear the roof off.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Thank you or the offer, but I'm retired.

My comment was meant to suggest when welding attachments like brackets to a structure or fixture, also consider the strength of what the bracket is welded to and what the weld will do to the fixture. As in, don't weld a lifting lug to the roof of your car without checking to see if the subsequent lift will leave the lug attached to the roof but tear the roof off.
            Thanks. I understand. It has been suggested before that I build it myself. I looked it over and was over my head as soon as I started looking at "where do I attach it?"

If the whole thing were made of wood, I would be in my element nut all of this metal is a challenge for me.

I know that there are folks out there that could design and build without breaking a sweat. I am patient. I'll find someone in time.

Comment

How about these? Screenshot_20200921-224006_Chrome.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X