Finally some progress on my RV solar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally some progress on my RV solar.

I sure wish I could remember who told me that you cannot put enough solar on your RV to be worth the trouble......

I just got my panels on the roof and am getting them fastened down. I will have 4x series pairs of 300 watt panels, The four pairs will be paralleled using a Midnite Solar combiner. I am over paneling to make up for less than "solar ideal" locations. I hope to have my batteries in a week or two and I can commission my system.
    Attached Files

Looks great. I would have to remove both of my air conditioners along with the sky lights and vent fans to do that.

Comment

With all that power and shade you or the OP could probably install a more efficient split system mounted somewhere else. .
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Might have been me. Most RV's don't have enough clear acreage for enough solar to make much of a dent. I read from above, you have 8, 300w panels ? 2S4P ?
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I like that roof.

On my 35’ RV, After putting six hundred watts panels on my roof and avoiding 2 A/C units, 2 skylights, 3 vents, 4 pipes, I may be able to put down 350 watts more, but its like a Jenga puzzle. I could give up the walkway on the North side, and I may get an additional 400 to 600 watts, but those would be shaded at least partially for most of the day from all the obstructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
            With all that power and shade you or the OP could probably install a more efficient split system mounted somewhere else. .
            Or I can just sell my beast of an RV and go with something that is more solar friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
              I am installing two of them. One 9k btu and one 12k btu.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                Might have been me. Most RV's don't have enough clear acreage for enough solar to make much of a dent. I read from above, you have 8, 300w panels ? 2S4P ?
                Yup. 8x300 watt. 2s4p.

Comment

We have opted not to buy a diesel generator like I had on my last one. I am considering adding an additional alternator (24v) for my house batteries but have not found a bracket yet. If anyone here knows of a source for a second alternator on an 8.3 Cummins please share it with me.

Thanks

Comment

Balmar may have a mount
                    https://balmar.net/balmar-technology...on-technology/
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                      Thank you.

I have already tried Balmar. They have some awesome alternators though. They would be my go to for the 24v alternator.

Comment

Quite a few companies make second alternator brackets for the little 5.9 but I have yet to find one for the 8.3.

Comment

Get a MIG welder. Many things suddenly become possible. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                            Get a MIG welder. Many things suddenly become possible. Bruce Roe
                            I have a mig welder. I had to have one for the roof raise and water tank mounts. Building a properly functioning alternator bracket is beyond my skillet.

You are most welcome to come over and show/teach me.....

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I have a mig welder. I had to have one for the roof raise and water tank mounts. Building a properly functioning alternator bracket is beyond my skillet.

You are most welcome to come over and show/teach me.....
                              FWIW, having done a fair amount of structural design as well as more than a little experience in design of weldments, what a bracket is attached to is often at least as important as the bracket, and the weldment is often the critical part of the considerations. I once caught a neophyte designer spending a couple hrs. designing a lifting lug and weld good for >> than design called for and would be welded to a 16 ga. steel pressure vessel wall that would fail if the lug were place where the designer intended. He hadn't learned the bigger picture yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X