Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wrybread View Post

I'll never understand that logic.
    And the craziest part to me is that if someone is relying on their engine to charge up, they already have batteries, an inverter, etc. The solar panels are the cheap and easy part.
    Comes down to you can't always get what you want.

Comment

Some people do not have enough solar wattage or charging amps to come even close to what an alternator can provide
      I get that of course, but I don't get why that is. Now that solar is so cheap and easy, there's just no reason not to have all the wattage you need.

I think a lot of it is just misinformation. Saying that the motor charges "more effectively" for example is just factually wrong. There's not a chance my 4 Trojan T-105's would still be healthy after 6 years if I was relying on engine charging for example. They'd have dipped too low too many times years ago.

Comment

I get that of course, but I don't get why that is. Now that solar is so cheap and easy, there's just no reason not to have all the wattage you need.

I think a lot of it is just misinformation. Saying that the motor charges "more effectively" for example is just factually wrong. There's not a chance my 4 Trojan T-105's would still be healthy after 6 years if I was relying on engine charging for example. They'd have dipped too low too many times years ago.
        Sometimes there just isn't enough room on the roof of an RV to in stall solar panel to recharge the batteries properly. Again it is what someone wants to do and for most just running the engine is easier to charge the batteries then installing solar. Remember the cost of gas has been below $2 for a lot of states. So running the engine is not as expensive for some than for others.

Also solar may not provide enough charging amps for batteries that have been deeply discharged

Comment

Sometimes there just isn't enough room on the roof of an RV to in stall solar panel to recharge the batteries properly
          I'm looking out at a sea of RV rooftops and don't see a single solar panel. I see lots and lots of room for them though! A real shame. And my camper is a 25 foot Class C, probably one of the smallest campers here, and I have 3 "house style" panels and could fit another. All it takes is a little ingenuity.

Remember the cost of gas has been below $2 for a lot of states. So running the engine is not as expensive for some than for others.
          The cost of the gas is the least of it. The biggest factor I see is the hassle of having to do it every single day, and the damage you'll do to your batteries when you don't keep up with it. Why would someone choosethat over something that happens automatically? And of course there's the noise and the smell and the fact that if you don't keep on top of it you damage your batteries.

Also solar may not provide enough charging amps for batteries that have been deeply discharged
          I know that's the prevailing wisdom on this forum, but 'm living proof that it's wrong. I deep discharge my batteries occasionally, and my 6 year old Trojan T-105's are going to last me at least another year, probably more. I don't know how much experience you have with Trojan T105's, but 6 years is really old for them. The fact that mine still work so well is proof that adequate and modern solar can charge a battery bank beautifully. I'd like to see someone keep their batteries this healthy after years of only relying on engine charging. Even if they're moving every day I'd say it would be impossible.

And besides it's not either/or, people can still of course start their engines in a pinch. But to rely on engine charging alone is a really silly idea idea in the modern solar era, with our access to dirt cheap high quality solar panels and MPPT charge controllers.
          Last edited by Wrybread; 07-10-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I'm looking out at a sea of RV rooftops and don't see a single solar panel. I see lots and lots of room for them though! A real shame. And my camper is a 25 foot Class C, probably one of the smallest campers here, and I have 3 "house style" panels and could fit another. All it takes is a little ingenuity.

The cost of the gas is the least of it. The biggest factor I see is the hassle of having to do it every single day, and the damage you'll do to your batteries when you don't keep up with it. Why would someone choosethat over something that happens automatically? And of course there's the noise and the smell and the fact that if you don't keep on top of it you damage your batteries.

I know that's the prevailing wisdom on this forum, but 'm living proof that it's wrong. I deep discharge my batteries occasionally, and my 6 year old Trojan T-105's are going to last me at least another year, probably more. I don't know how much experience you have with Trojan T105's, but 6 years is really old for them. The fact that mine still work so well is proof that adequate and modern solar can charge a battery bank beautifully. I'd like to see someone keep their batteries this healthy after years of only relying on engine charging. Even if they're moving every day I'd say it would be impossible.

And besides it's not either/or, people can still of course start their engines in a pinch. But to rely on engine charging alone is a really silly idea idea in the modern solar era, with our access to dirt cheap high quality solar panels and MPPT charge controllers.
            Well again your opinion and not what others are thinking concerning solar to be easy and cheap.

I am glad your Trojan's are lasting a long time. Most people kill off their system quickly.

But since I can't smell, running my engine is not an issue and the noise can be controlled. But in real life I choose to RV in campgrounds that provide power and water so I don't have to run my engine or worry about my batteries.

Comment

Well again your opinion and not what others are thinking concerning solar to be easy and cheap.
              My costs for the charging part of my system (the solar stuff) are about $530, and that's for 900 watts of solar power. That's a lot:

- $130 for a 300 watt panel (I have 3 of them, but 2 would do)

- $140 for a charge controller (link)

Without the 3rd mostly unnecessary solar panel it would cost $400, plus a bit for the wires. I call that cheap for limitless power that doesn't require any work and drastically extends the life of my batteries by keeping them charged, but as you say that's opinion.

As far as being easy, with the various solar forums on the internet, it's dead simple. There's lots of people who loving helping with this stuff.

I am glad your Trojan's are lasting a long time. Most people kill off their system quickly.
              Honestly I'd be amazed if anyone's batteries could last 2 years without solar. Unless they're super diligent with charging, but then I couldn't imagine why someone would want to work so hard when there's such a simple alternative.

If someone needs batteries too, the simplest thing to do is add either 2 or 4 Trojan T105's ($135 each). Or I've had great luck with the Costco 6 volt cheapies (about $90 each), just make super sure to keep them topped up with water. Plus about $400 for a good inverter, the wires, fuses, etc. If money is tight you could easily get away with one or two 300-watt solar panels, that charge controller, the 600 watt version of that inverter (or just get a cheapie inverter), and 2 Trojan T-105's or the generic alternative. That would cost well under $600 for a solar system including batteries that would probably be far and away the best one in any RV park.

Last edited by Wrybread; 07-11-2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

for some reality, as for the OP's 'question' about why so many other RVrs don't deploy 'solar', and use their generator, it really comes down to frequency of use: most RVs are used very infrequently. There's little need or desire for those owners to spend the type of money involved in making solar power any type of even long-term financial payback.
                Also, most who 'camp' want to do that in the shade, since most 'camping' is during the hot summer months, so solar, again, is problematic, especially if you have 'roof mounted' solar arrays. Most who camp also don't buy a camper so that they can then go out and spend more on another type of 'power' system, when they already have 12v systems, 120v systems, and a generator, which they'd need anyway, even with any solar.
                The camping world is also not a 'single track' mindset, when it comes to 'who' is doing the camping, what they are doing it 'for', and for how 'long' they are doing it - it's a recreational activity, not a business, and for the vast, vast majority, certainly NOT a full time home, where an investment in solar and other types of power sources might be more financially advantageous.
                The RVing industry has certainly added their fair share of 'solar' products, pre-wiring options, and some newer high-end models that are 'all battery powered', as for the electrical systems, anyway - doing away with a generator in place of lithium battery packs, dual or triple inverters, and solar arrays on the roof... IF you have the money for that type of RV.

it's all good, no matter 'how' you do it! : )

Comment

Solar panel in RVing is an environmentally way to enjoy outdoors. But for now, a portable generator is much convenient for me. Congratulation on your successful solar panel set-up!

Comment

right, a portable generator, or an onboard generator, are simply too valuable to try to 'replace' with solar - they are full 120v power sources, when and where you need them, and can be used for other needs outside of camping, as well. Solar is expensive for the time it takes to ever 'recoup' the financial 'investment' for it - most campers just don't have that 'time', or that patience... or are not 'parked' in the sun to make it work best. Portable options are fine, but if they are portable, chances are they're also not very powerful.

I have some of both - onboard generator and some solar. Both work well for what they 'do', but ultimately, in a 'mobile' setting for camping and traveling, the solar becomes a 'trickle charger' for the battery bank, while the generator is the primary source of deep recharging and for 120v needs for air conditioning, and heavier high-draw appliances and devices, as needed. Of course, on a motorhome, you also generally have the advantage of the Alternator charging your batteries while driving, so the solar tends to take a back seat to both the others, only really being 'used' when parked and the generator is not in play, if not in the shade.

Comment

From the way I see solar is not for everyone.

for the last 3 years 3-4 months in summer.
                      I camp offgrid in the Virginia mountains in a travel trailer.
                      I park in the shade with 2 remote systems 400 watts on pwm and 500 on mppt. 50-58 amps charging. More than enough for my
                      416 ahs batteries @12 volts.

Temperatures get to 88f in the afternoon
                      I can't run air conditioning on my system so the generator Runs from 1-6.

I've found it's just easier to charge from the generator since its already running.

The generator doesn't care if the sun don't shine for 28 days like last sept.
                      (edit sept 2018)
                      So I sold the solar panels and charge controllers.
                      and bought a more efficient inverter generator

Now I don't have to put up the panels when I get there or take them back down when I leave.
                      less work and more time to enjoy my stay.
                      Just my 2 cents.
                      Last edited by Ho jo; 07-12-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Yeah, solar is tough to fully rely on if you need to power air conditioning off-grid. But I literally can't imagine having an RV or trailer without it.

- $300 to $700 for a modern high powered solar system
                        - not sounding like a helicopter is taking off for hours every day
                        - years and years of noise and effort-free power
                        - extending the life of your batteries by at least 100%

PRICELESS!
                        Last edited by Wrybread; 07-13-2020, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what would damage them? If you parallel the two 12 volt battery banks in a 24 volt system made of 6 volt batteries, the batteries should (I think, I've never done it, and not recommending it, just wondering) be discharging at the same rate. So what exactly damages them in that configuration?
                          If you literally parallel the lower 12 V and upper 12/v banks of a 24 V system you are creating a spectacular short circuit. You would have to disconnect the 24v bank from charger and load and then reconfigure the two banks from series to parallel.
                          They do make power converters that provide a nominal 12V output and draw equal currents from the upper and lower banks. Not cheap, but more efficient than a simple 24V to 12V DC to DC converter.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

My costs for the charging part of my system (the solar stuff) are about $530, and that's for 900 watts of solar power. That's a lot:

- $130 for a 300 watt panel (I have 3 of them, but 2 would do)

- $140 for a charge controller (link)

Without the 3rd mostly unnecessary solar panel it would cost $400, plus a bit for the wires. I call that cheap for limitless power that doesn't require any work and drastically extends the life of my batteries by keeping them charged, but as you say that's opinion.

As far as being easy, with the various solar forums on the internet, it's dead simple. There's lots of people who loving helping with this stuff.

Honestly I'd be amazed if anyone's batteries could last 2 years without solar. Unless they're super diligent with charging, but then I couldn't imagine why someone would want to work so hard when there's such a simple alternative.

If someone needs batteries too, the simplest thing to do is add either 2 or 4 Trojan T105's ($135 each). Or I've had great luck with the Costco 6 volt cheapies (about $90 each), just make super sure to keep them topped up with water. Plus about $400 for a good inverter, the wires, fuses, etc. If money is tight you could easily get away with one or two 300-watt solar panels, that charge controller, the 600 watt version of that inverter (or just get a cheapie inverter), and 2 Trojan T-105's or the generic alternative. That would cost well under $600 for a solar system including batteries that would probably be far and away the best one in any RV park.

With the $530 you mention, I would put the true cost of a decently constructed solar setup from scratch with no tools to be built by an individual with no labor fees at six times to 8 times that $530. At least that is what it will cost me to get 600 watts of panels, 440 ah battery bank, and a 1000 watt inverter, with no hidden costs.

seems to leave off the cost of the 4 T-105's, which I'm guessing runs a lot closed to $1k. Also, with the real cost I'm getting because my RV is not pre-wired to solar, things are adding up quick. The tilt bracket for to get a better angle during the winter for 6 panels is $240. 2/0 wiring for the batteries is $70, and a crimper for that can be $100. Constructing the thee battery box is even turning out to be pricey, at least $100, but closer to $200 to include a 2" venting system to the outside. Want to fuse the battery and put circuit breakers on the panels and feed lines, could be another $100, to buy a six string combiner box from midnight solar $120. If you want to get power distribution blocks, that could be $100 for 250 amps, but if you're trying to power a 2000 watt inverter on 12 VDC, which is a bad idea, but people will do, that's not strong enough. If I want something to monitor my power, $250. If I want to use a contractor relay to get something to auto shut off my RV's DC shore power converter so I can plug my inverter into the shore power, that's another $100
                            Last edited by chrisski; 07-13-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I did mention the batteries, and fuses.

Skip tilting the panels, it's a big added hassle and I can't imagine it not being a maintenance issue. You lose about 15% to 20% by flat mounting your panels, just add an extra panel if you're worried about it.

Buy your battery jumpers pre-made.

If you're on a budget and want a battery monitor, it doesn't need to be expensive anymore (link).

I can't think of a single tool I used for the whole project other than a drill and a $20 multimeter. There probably were a couple of other tools, but not many and nothing fancy.

Of course you can spend as much as you want to on the project, but if someone wants to keep it cheap they can make a fantastic, safe system very inexpensively.
                              Last edited by Wrybread; 07-14-2020, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Fair Enough.

The T-105 battery seems fairly easy to get, at least several Amazon suppliers, but the a similar Trojan I'm planning on getting is a little harder to find. The Trojan SOLAR SPRE 06 255 is a 6V 229 AH Battery that is almost the same price or marginally cheaper than the T-105. You'll get at least 6 years off those which is awesome. I didn't find a spec sheet off the Trojan website that talks about depth of disharge vs. charge cycles. Appear to be the same battery except the SOLAR SPRE is about 5/8" taller.

I'm waiting on a salesman to call me back about placing an order for that Solar SPRE.

Comment

Working...
                                X