Fried My Portable Generator? Panel Too Strong?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowroad
    • Sep 2018

Fried My Portable Generator? Panel Too Strong?

Hi! First of all—I am clueless, go easy on me. I can’t find really anything helpful and could use some advice. I have a Floureon 300watt generator that I’ve used for years with much success. I just bought a new panel (190watt) and it charged it super quick. I was thrilled—until the generator stopped working entirely?! The panel is twice as strong as the one I’ve been using. Too strong? Did I fry my generator? I’ve ordered a new one (500watt this time) but I’m not seeing compatibility on the amazon page/haven’t had any success figuring out where I’ve gone wrong. SOS! Thank you!

EDIT: I am such an idiot, finally found in the manual where it says 120watt is the limit.

New question: Can I use batteries with this 190watt panel? I’ve been reading and am honestly confused as hell about how to set up a system with batteries. Do I need to buy a certain amount to make it work with a panel of this size?

Thank you for reading, any advice is appreciated, and I know that I sound absolutely stupid. I thought I needed a stronger panel and ended up ruining good equipment.
    Last edited by lowroad; 07-02-2020, 05:24 PM.
  • chrisski
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2020

To use the larger panels on a battery, start looking at Charge Controllers. They should first match your panels such as 24 volts, 6 amps and not exceed the volage or amperage and also the charge controller needs to be sized for the battery, which is probably 12 volts. You also need to match the panels to the voltage, and best to read the stickies for that.

I’m building my first system and opted to stay away from a solar generator when I saw they did not put out enough power for what I wanted, basically to run my RV.

Comment

• lowroad
      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by chrisski
      To use the larger panels on a battery, start looking at Charge Controllers. They should first match your panels such as 24 volts, 6 amps and not exceed the volage or amperage and also the charge controller needs to be sized for the battery, which is probably 12 volts. You also need to match the panels to the voltage, and best to read the stickies for that.

I’m building my first system and opted to stay away from a solar generator when I saw they did not put out enough power for what I wanted, basically to run my RV.
      Thank you! That’s helpful. I’ve been using the little generator (two of them actually) in my camper for years now, but the only things I need to power are my laptop/phone. I got a bit ambitious with this new panel apparently—had no idea that 190watts was in another league entirely. I can’t return the panel, so it looks like I need to figure out a new system.

Really appreciate the advice!

Comment

• chrisski
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2020

Originally posted by lowroad

Thank you! That’s helpful. I’ve been using the little generator (two of them actually) in my camper for years now, but the only things I need to power are my laptop/phone. I got a bit ambitious with this new panel apparently—had no idea that 190watts was in another league entirely. I can’t return the panel, so it looks like I need to figure out a new system.

Really appreciate the advice!
        I’m finding the system I’m putting in the RV is about 4 times as costly as I expected, and will let me watch TV and keep the lights on, but not too much high power stuff like refrigerator or evens toaster. I’m going to have 600 watts of solar panels, 440 amp hour battery bank, and a 1000 watt inverter. There’s a lot of work I’m putting into this to make sure the overall system is safe.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

I just came across one of my old signatures:
          Standard "Usenet" Answer:
          Do not do it correctly,
          find any and all incorrect ways of doing it instead.
          THEN post a question about why it won't work anymore

I'm sorry you fried your gear, but I suppose it's an excellent way to learn and teach.
          Solar systems need to be designed, not just random hooking things together. Each part has a spec and some mismatch is tolerable, but at some point, exceeds safe operating limits.
          There is a whole section of off-grid system design stickies designed to get you started in the right direction:
          some here:
          Discuss remote solar applications for homes, cabins, RV and boats. If you have a question on equipment for an off grid system, such as charge controllers or inverters, then post your question in this forum.

more here:
          This section is for those wanting to run small 12V systems for RV's or camping or boats, hobbies or whatever else you can think of.

And ask around before you buy more stuff. Define your power needs, and design a system to supply that need. Too small, you run out of power, too large run out of cash.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• lowroad
            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
            I just came across one of my old signatures:
            Standard "Usenet" Answer:
            Do not do it correctly,
            find any and all incorrect ways of doing it instead.
            THEN post a question about why it won't work anymore

I'm sorry you fried your gear, but I suppose it's an excellent way to learn and teach.
            Solar systems need to be designed, not just random hooking things together. Each part has a spec and some mismatch is tolerable, but at some point, exceeds safe operating limits.
            There is a whole section of off-grid system design stickies designed to get you started in the right direction:
            some here:
            Discuss remote solar applications for homes, cabins, RV and boats. If you have a question on equipment for an off grid system, such as charge controllers or inverters, then post your question in this forum.

more here:
            This section is for those wanting to run small 12V systems for RV's or camping or boats, hobbies or whatever else you can think of.

And ask around before you buy more stuff. Define your power needs, and design a system to supply that need. Too small, you run out of power, too large run out of cash.
            Thank you for that—and yeah, I feel like an absolute dolt. My simplistic system had been working for so long that it didn’t occur to me that a bigger panel would be problematic. My mind just assumed it would mean a faster charge on the less-sunny days.

I will definitely read the stickies and try to better educate myself on building a system with batteries. I appreciate the response.

Comment

Working...