Design of Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design of Upgrade

I'm looking for the best arrangement for old to new upgrade with these components:
    New parts MPPT 50A and two 200W Monocrystalline with three 12v 100ah gel batteries currently parallel.
    Old parts PVM 40A and five 100W Polycrystalline with two 12v gel batteries (years old also parallel).
    Load with 12v camper lights, plug in 12v chargers,12vdc TV and 3000W/6000 peak inverter for 120v AC.
    Panel details 200W Vmpp 17.0v Impp 11.76a and old 100W Vmpp 18.0v Impp 5.56a
    Currently I've changed the 5 parallel 100W (old PWM limits) to series (new MPPT allows) and 3 new batteries. The old batteries are disconnected for now to prevent conflicts, but trailer emergency brake is still on them. New panels not yet connected.
    Space on the roof is limited, so some 100W small 40x26 inch will come down to fit 200W larger 64x26 inch.
    Would it be better to add new 17v to series of old 18v, change to parallel, or use both charge controllers to battery bank, combine old & new batteries? What will work best?

esmart3 MPPT from China is questionable performance. Can anyone tell me of fixes to main processor V3.3 ? Or, better yet, a replacement with better USA support? I have one week left on Amazon return window.

Comment

Update: Got Victron SmartSolar 100/50 and put 3 panels 200W each in series on it charging older batteries. The esmart3 now has the 5 panels 100W each in series charging the 3 new 100aH batteries. I plan to connect a battery selector switch to the inverter and be able to draw power from second battery bank when first bank gets low. Does anyone know how detrimental it would be to connect old batteries and new together? I've read old and new combination is harmful to battery life, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by doclogic View Post
        Update: Got Victron SmartSolar 100/50 and put 3 panels 200W each in series on it charging older batteries. The esmart3 now has the 5 panels 100W each in series charging the 3 new 100aH batteries. I plan to connect a battery selector switch to the inverter and be able to draw power from second battery bank when first bank gets low. Does anyone know how detrimental it would be to connect old batteries and new together? I've read old and new combination is harmful to battery life, etc.
        Like the "one bad apple destroys the bunch" one older battery will hurt the new ones. The basic issue is the older battery is weaker and will bring down the functionality of the new ones

Comment

Should I keep one MPPT on old bank and second MPPT on new batteries and use a battery selector switch to load (inverter) OR
          could both MPPT chargers combine to charge 1 bank at a time and use switch for Charge and Load both to single bank at a time?

Comment

It would probably be better to keep the old batteries separate from the new. and charge each bank by themselves.

As for using a switch to select a battery bank, I would make sure the contacts are designed for DC voltage and can handle all arcing. If not the contacts will pit and slowly be consumed.

Comment

I've configured:
              Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100 | 50 with 3 panels of 200W rating in series
              eSmart3 MPPT 50A with 5 panels of 100W in series.
              The combined charge to 3 batteries of 100aH and supply DC to AIMS 3000/6000W inverter.
              On Sunny days here in Denver, CO this is powering air conditioning about 500W and electric fridge about 200W.
              At 99 degrees today the clear skies have my A/C running about 3/4 of the time and fridge 1/4 so small overall drain on batteries during the day and trying to recharge with generator when cooler...
              Only have 3/15A car battery charger, any recommendations for non-car charging unit to use with 1600/2000W generator?

Comment

Working...
              X