travel trailer system with future transfer to cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel trailer system with future transfer to cabin

Hey everyone, I own a piece of land that I would like to park a travel trailer on. I still haven't bought a travel trailer. My plan is to use the travel trailer as a cabin for the next 3-4 years while slowly finishing up my cabin next door. Then I will transfer my system there. We will probably go up every weekend or so and stay for 2-3 nights at most but likely just 2 nights.

I am hoping I can get some forum help with deigning and installing my system. I think I know what big components I need but I do not know the exact other parts and also about how to connect it all together. Maybe first I will list what I think I will buy so far (obviously feel free letting me know if I should get something different) Panels - 4x 100w panels from Lowes wired in parallel because the distance between my panels and batteries be around 15-20ft? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Grape-Solar...nel/1000597657
    MPPT charge controller epever. https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Contro...64&sr=8-8&th=1
    Inverter Magnum CSW2012.
    batteries: 6x Duracell GC2 sealed. Making a 12v system will give me I believe 645ah.
    MT50 monitor.
    All the other important stuff, cable shunts, disconnect switches, combiner box and so on - I hope I can get help with to build a diagram so I can build this. And obviosly notes on what I chose so far are greatly appreciated.

Design notes: I own a honda generator 2000. Which I will use to boost my system if need be. I also own IOTA Engineering DLS30
    I want a dedicated wall plug of 5v usb to charge phones and such?
    I need a dedicated 12v charger for my dewalt batteries. I saw they sell one that plugs into the car lighter? can I incorporate that one in my system?
    Run power to the fan in the outhouse. a 12v dc fan that is unless easier to run ac?

General questions I am assuming that whatever trailer I will buy I will be able to wire my system to feed the 12v from my batteries directly and my ac from my inverter directly to camper's ac system without too much complications? is that true?
    I want to have a few dedicated usb wall ports with 5v and 2.1 amp (or similar) that will run directly from my batteries to charge our phones and tablets. Is that something worth doing for the power savings? I will charge two phones and two tablets each night.
    My place is in upstate NY. Not 100% sure I will go up to the cabin in winter but if I am. Should I always bring my generator to charge the batteries get there then before eI leave so they stay in fairly charged mode?
    Thanks!

Try this. Over 300 threads about vehicle/trailer systems. Not much of that here.
    https://diysolarforum.com/forums/veh...ted-systems.7/
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Your planned system is a bit light on the solar charging, (I'd like to see 800w of panels for the size of batteries and inverter you have) and think the idea of using the generator to top of the batteries before you leave, is a good idea.

If you want to wire the small, expensive panels in parallel, you do not need the expensive MPPT controller.

MPPT controllers are designed to take higher voltage DC (like the 40V you get from a 300w panel) and allow you to run small 10ga wires the long distance to the controller, and then the short run from the controller to the batteries, uses the heavier wire. If you have the space and can prevent shade from obscuring the panels, the large 300watt class panels may be a simpler beast to handle and mount

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        Your planned system is a bit light on the solar charging, (I'd like to see 800w of panels for the size of batteries and inverter you have) and think the idea of using the generator to top of the batteries before you leave, is a good idea.

If you want to wire the small, expensive panels in parallel, you do not need the expensive MPPT controller.

MPPT controllers are designed to take higher voltage DC (like the 40V you get from a 300w panel) and allow you to run small 10ga wires the long distance to the controller, and then the short run from the controller to the batteries, uses the heavier wire. If you have the space and can prevent shade from obscuring the panels, the large 300watt class panels may be a simpler beast to handle and mount
        Thanks mike. Why not run in higher voltage really... you are right. I am getting an mppt anyway.

Reason for only getting 400watt of panels is because this is a weekend at best situation so when I leave - there won't be any usage so the panels can charge up completely. But seeing that you say these are expensive panels! maybe I should get those cheaper ones you said and then a bigger array? can you point me where to find those?

Comment

Compare the price / watt for different panels

REC285TP2 100w BLK $0.28/W
          300wp Mono 60 Cell $0.42/W
          SEG-6MA-375WW 375w $0.48/W

Shop around, Lowes is not the deal place for PV, but maybe if you don't have shipping charges, it's OK. Is it easier to mount 4 small panels and wire up 4, or to mount 2 mid size panels and wire 2 panels. More than 2 panels in parallel, you need to have a combiner box with breakers or fuses .

With your 4 panels , if the Voc spec (added up with 4 in series) in cold weather, is below 100V (the limit of your controller) that's likely how I'd do it. But don't allow shade on your panels, they will stop producing power.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I found a better price finally... 250 watt panel. Poly. Brand new. Manufactured in 2015. for $100.

He has two model options:
            cs6p-250px - CANADIAN
            tsm-250pa0s.08 - TRINA

Any better than the other? both not good?

Comment

Working...
            X