X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by chrisski

My plan for the circuit protection for the finial set of wires would be a 30 amp fuse for each of the two strings. I plan on using a KUMEED 12V DC 20A 30A 40A 50A 60A Car Audio Inline Circuit Breaker Fuse for System Protection 30 amp fuse just prior to the junction box where the combiner and battery wiring merge. I’m not sure if that specific fuse is good for solar power, and I may just create a third box for those two fuses that are rated for solar instead of using fuses intended for stereo inside this compartment where the batteries, charge controller, and RV DC appliance 12 V circuit is.
    I use something like the kumeed but it is mounted to a wood panel. That device should work for you as well as give you a way to disconnect all the panels at once from your CC.

Just make sure the CB is rated just below what the wire can handle.

Comment

• chrisski
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2020

Originally posted by SunEagle

I use something like the kumeed but it is mounted to a wood panel.
      One of the next things I want to do is research building these wood panels so as not to catch my RV on Fire. There’s got to be something like Rubber washers to give spacing so its not on wood directly, I’d like to leave room for expansion later so that this could become a 24V system.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Your breakers and combiners are in the same box. This is the midnight box I used. The breakers are available in 1A increments

You can see the bus bar at the top of the breakers, that combines all the + circuits, and the side termial for all the minus leads.

Breakers http://www.midnitesolar.com/productP...tOrder=1&act=p
        A local vendor buys the 12 packs and splits them up for you

All you need is a rated raintight box with DIN rails for your breakers. I don't know if a horizontal version exists. Otherwise, you have to bring all the leads into the RV and combine there

20160608_120434.jpg
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• chrisski
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2020

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Your breakers and combiners are in the same box. This is the midnight box I used. The breakers are available in 1A increments

You can see the bus bar at the top of the breakers, that combines all the + circuits, and the side termial for all the minus leads.

Breakers http://www.midnitesolar.com/productP...tOrder=1&act=p
          A local vendor buys the 12 packs and splits them up for you

All you need is a rated raintight box with DIN rails for your breakers. I don't know if a horizontal version exists. Otherwise, you have to bring all the leads into the RV and combine there

20160608_120434.jpg
          I actually have the very same combiner box, the midnight solar 6 input, but looks like a possibility of a leak if I use it lying it horizontal. The only way I can figure out how to use the Midnight Solar combiner would be to wire all six of my panels with wiring going through the roof via pipe to the battery compartment. I bought it thinking I'd put it on the roof of the RV.

I think there's got to be systems available that are water tight. I've seen some pictures of house roof mounted panels that have what appear to be a combiner that lays horizontally.

I've got a few months before I start drilling and cutting, but I started today, I would not use the midnight solar panel, because I don't want to run six sets of wires through the roof, I'd rather just use two. I can kind of see a path forward where I build a 24 V system, but I would probably need a 12V battery still to run the electronic breaks, and still need something to charge that 12 volt battery, so that might not be a good idea. Especially for a first project.

Comment

Working...