Solar Controller and Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Controller and Load

Do I need to hook a Load to a 60A Solar Controller? The specific model I have is a "Temank Solar Charge Controller 60A 12V/24V Auto, PWM Solar Regulator 60 amp Max Input 720W-1440W

I have the controller hooked to a 12V Deep Cycle RV Lead Acid battery, and the controller also hooked to a 100W solar Panel. There is also a hook up for load, but the only instructions say don't run high load draws off it like a Inverter. Intent of this system is to run a 400W inverter for a few minutes at a time.

I have done some research on this. Nothing is in the owners manual about having to put a load, and the little I dig from the corners of the web says to only use it on things you to hook to where it will get shut off at a low battery voltage and turned on when the voltage is higher, so most off gridders will never find a reason to use that.

I doubt that you need a load for that charge controller. If panels generate electricity and nobody uses it, it won't blow up anything. If you're really paranoid, you can ask the manufacturer: support@temank.com
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Originally posted by bob-n View Post
      I doubt that you need a load for that charge controller. If panels generate electricity and nobody uses it, it won't blow up anything. If you're really paranoid, you can ask the manufacturer: support@temank.com
      I appreciate the response. I did not have that E-Mail address on the manual or box I was given so thanks. I'm calling this project a solar generator, but I'm really putting it together for lessons learned form my next step a 720 Watt Solar System for the RV. I also have noticed in some of the YouTube videos I watched today, that this Load Port, if the controller has it is not hooked up.
      Last edited by chrisski; 05-03-2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Generally, the LOAD terminals are for a low wattage load, that the controller can switch off if the batteries get dangerously low. Inverters usually have their own Low Voltage Disconnect, so you would not need to put them on the load terminals
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hook your inverter up to the battery, not to the controller load output.
          I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

Working...
          X