Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmic Osmo
    • Jun 2019

Sanity check for tiny portable system

I'm thinking of the following and just want to bounce it off the forum for any gotchas or better ideas.

The use case is running LED strips in my garden shed (~25 Wh/day probably), and also being able to take the system down to use it for ham field day (100-200 Wh/day, but mostly concentrated to the time of greatest sun), and if the cascadian subduction earthquake ever hits, to have a backup option that'll allow us to keep things like phones, electric toothbrushes, cordless drill, maybe a laptop usable in a prolonged grid-down (50-100 Wh/day). Also, there's the hobby/tinkering aspect.

Components:

** 70W Newpoa 12v panel ($70)

** Renogy wanderer 10 amp PWM charge controller ($20) - I understand MPPT (eg. Genasun) would be more efficient, but for that price, I could just double the panel, which would provide more power increase than going to MPPT.

** ExpertPower 12v 10 Ah LiFePO4 battery, built-in BMS ($100)

** AIMS power 180 watt pure sine wave inverter ($100) - not strictly necessary because all my planned loads are DC, but might be nice to have around just in case

Any obvious issues with that configuration? Thanks!
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

A 10ah battery is pretty small. A 70w panel can harvest more sun than the 10ah battery can store, so that's a 2nd vote for a larger battery.

I'd suggest your first foray into solar power be with a larger panel or more panels, in the 200w range, and a 100ah of conventional lead acid battery. That's where I suggest investing
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Cosmic Osmo
      • Jun 2019

A 100 Ah (~60 lb) battery doesn't meet my goal of a portable system, and your recommendation also increases the cost by 2-3x for capability that I believe I don't need.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
        A 10ah battery is pretty small. A 70w panel can harvest more sun than the 10ah battery can store, so that's a 2nd vote for a larger battery.

I'd suggest your first foray into solar power be with a larger panel or more panels, in the 200w range, and a 100ah of conventional lead acid battery. That's where I suggest investing
        Heck my Auto Jump Start system has an 18Ah battery and most of my UPS systems have more than 10Ah so that is a very small system

My portable solar/battery includes a 65Ah battery and an 80 watt (I should have used a 100W) folding panel. While my system is not light it can be pulled around using a small hand cart.

Comment

• Cosmic Osmo
          • Jun 2019

Thanks for the input. Would bumping up to a 15 Ah LiFePO4 make this seem like a more balanced system? I really don't want to go with lead for size and weight reasons.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Cosmic Osmo
            Thanks for the input. Would bumping up to a 15 Ah LiFePO4 make this seem like a more balanced system? I really don't want to go with lead for size and weight reasons.
            A 15Ah LiFePO4 battery can be charged between a range of 1.25 amps to 3 amps. A 70w panel will probably exceed that 3 amp which could hurt the battery by charging it too fast. Although if you don't point the panel directly at the sun you will get less then the Imp rating of that panel.

Well I also have a 20Ah Lithium battery pack that can be charged from an outlet or my computer through a USB connection and has a flashlight built in. I can easily charge my phone 5 times over with it and it is very small and portable.

So my question is what do you plan on using your portable system for?

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

I'll still maintain that 10ah is small. Even for limited uses. And I think most 10A Li batteries will cost about the same as a 90A deep cycle lead acid battery.

If your mind is made up, good luck, and I'd not bother with the inverter, it's not likely to power a 60W load for more than 15 min
              60W @ 12V = 5A That's half the battery capacity and it won't keep that up for long.

This album may give you some ideas (should link to my portable solar monolith)

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Freeesun
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2018

thats a very small battery for $100 i bought a 80ah battery fla at wall mart for around that price. also you can double your solar panel size for fairly cheap, i bought my 150 watt coleman on sale at canadian tire for a little more than what you spent. i produce around 6-10amps with my panel and im not even facing south.
                12v 150watt, 80ah battery, 75 watt inverter.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Freeesun
                  thats a very small battery for $100 i bought a 80ah battery fla at wall mart for around that price. also you can double your solar panel size for fairly cheap, i bought my 150 watt coleman on sale at canadian tire for a little more than what you spent. i produce around 6-10amps with my panel and im not even facing south.
                  Freesun - edit your member profile and add your SIGNATURE LINE with your solar gear. (and everyone else, so you don't have to type it out each time you ask a question)

Comment

• Freeesun
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Oct 2018

Thank you I actually asked how to do this in a different post.

Comment

• Freeesun
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2018

I can’t seem to find signature line?

Comment

• bob-n
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2019

Yes, it's tough to find. I just tried and it took me 15 minutes.

Top right, click your user ID and select User Settings.
                        Then select the tab Account.
                        Then half way down is small text Edit Post Signature.
                        Last edited by bob-n; 05-03-2020, 09:27 AM.
                        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Working...