Are these extreme performance LFP batteries worth it???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jman
    • Dec 2017

Are these extreme performance LFP batteries worth it???

Here is an 80AH 12V DCS battery that I assume uses Headway 38120s, what else could do this?

Anyway this is about 3C load and much of the time the voltage is comfortably above 12V. My guess is about 10-12% total power loss which isn't all that bad when you have alternator charging.

Yet in this video the guy looks to be using slighty used HP cells of smaller capacity and the voltage drop is through the floor, useless battery. Which had me wondering

Is this 80AH too good to be true for running my small 1800W induction stove? Those dam total fire bans. I would expect to get up to 8yrs out of it. But I suspect after just a few years the performance will drop off alot & if so is loosing money longterm.
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

I used headways on ebikes for about 8 years. Some LIPO can do that but they catch fire more easily. NCM and NCA are a middle ground.

Battery prices for LFP prismatics have come down to the point that you might be able to buy more capacity. LFP is the safest chemistry. I have seen prices from $1000 per kWh to $150 per kWh..

To answer your question about whether that kind of performance is worth it depends on your circumstances. For my stationary storage i would rather spend $900 for 6 kWh than spend $1000 for 1 kWhr. On the other hand I have purchased over 120 kWh of higher performance Lithium with 8 wheels, 3 motors and other amenities. I have driven those EVs over 100,000 miles in 4 years.
    Last edited by Ampster; 04-30-2020, 11:53 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...