Having trouble With 400 watt system Not charging battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble With 400 watt system Not charging battery

I have 2 panels installed, an mppt charge controller, 1500 pure sine wave inverter, and a fully charged 12 volt 90 amp hour battery. Once everything is connected my Mt-50 reads 0 for any solar coming in. Everything is installed correctly, I'm pretty sure. My multimeter sense voltage coming in from the panel wires. Full sun out, but does not detect anything coming in. What could be the issue?

Have you setup values and parameters? Or are you in default settings!

Comment

No haven't set values or parameters. How do I go about doing that on an mt-50? Also my inverter is not powering on

Comment

Just set my Battery Type to it's correct configuration. Still no power to inverter

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse11 View Post
          Just set my Battery Type to it's correct configuration. Still no power to inverter
          Proper battery setting should be "USER" correct

Comment

Are there fuses in all the holders ?

Are the 2 panels wired in series or in parallel ?

What voltage do you read at the Controllers PV input ? Battery output terminals ?

Did you allow the controller to boot from the battery before connecting the solar ?

Specs of the PV panels Vmp _____ Voc ______ Imp ______
            Controller model
            Inverter model
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

​​​​​​I have a 200 amp fuse connecting the inverter to the battery and to a separate fuse box for other appliances, I also have a 50 amp circuit breaker connecting the inverter positive to the charge controller. There is also 200 amp fuse on the battery positive cable hooking into the battery.
              I I have two panels wired in parallel. I first connect the battery then connected the solar wires. The reading before inputting the parameter for sealed and 90 AMP hour battery inputs into the mt50 was at 0. After inputting those parameters the voltage read 0.3, but once I did that the sun was halfway set so I will have to wait till tomorrow to see if that made a difference.

I uploaded the specs for the specific solar panels I have below. I have an older analog multimeter that is getting voltage readings from the Solar wires connecting to the controller.

Screenshot_20190926-222237.jpg
              Last edited by Eclipse11; 09-27-2019, 01:58 AM.

Comment

OK. so the MPPT should work OK, with 50-40V of PV into a 12V battery.. That should give you up to 20-25A charging at 14V

There appear to be 2 unrelated problems:
                Battery is not charging from solar ?
                Inverter won't turn on.
                A common thing could be blown fuses, but it takes something big and noticeable to blow a 200A fuse.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Just switched the positive cables back and forth on the inverter connecting the controller and circuit breakers.. Inverter powered on. Now just waiting till the sun's out to check if solar charges battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse11 View Post
                    Just switched the positive cables back and forth on the inverter connecting the controller and circuit breakers.. Inverter powered on. Now just waiting till the sun's out to check if solar charges battery.
                    Lucky you didn't fry anything.

Comment

Update::::::

The problem I had was very simple. My solar wire adapters I crimped for extensions out of the controller were switched in each other's place. Had the negative wire on the positive end and the positive on the negative end of the controller. Switched them up and now getting full solar and charging up the battery. That little confusion should have done no harm to any of the components. I previously thought I had installed the majority of the wiring all wrong on the inverter and circuit breaker posts. I quickly noticed I just hadn't held my finger on the inverter button long enough to get it powered out, which usually takes a couple of seconds pressing down and releasing.

Up and​​​​ running charging battery no problems.
                      Last edited by Eclipse11; 09-28-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

giphy.gif Hoo-Ray!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X