Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFI in a mobile installation?

Hey Everyone,

Moving forward with my RV project I have started considering installing an HF rig. I have never run HF in close proximity to charge controllers or inverters and did not consider the potential for RFI.

I came across another thread discussing RFI issues with grid tied solar and started poking around and have not found a clear answer to my concern.

What kind of issues can I anticipate from a Midnite Classic, Whizbang Jr and a Xantrex Prosine 1800/24?

I gave my Kenwood to my brother some time back and have not found a soul in the county with HF gear to test with. I may have to order a new rig just to try it out. If I am doomed to failure, I will spare myself the agrivation and cost.

Dang! It just occurred to me that it's been 18+ years since I gave away my last HF rig.... Time goes by too quickly.

Originally posted by PNW_Steve
    I have started considering installing an HF rig. I have never run HF in close proximity to charge controllers
    or inverters and did not consider the potential for RFI.

What kind of issues can I anticipate from a Midnite Classic, Whizbang Jr and a Xantrex Prosine 1800/24?
    Just scout around the solar equipment with an am portable for noise. Plenty of cheap obsolete
    equipment on Evil Bay. Bruce Roe

Comment

Add some shielding

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Land View Post
        Add some shielding
        I tried that,

I put aluminum foil all over my head and still heard voices...

Or did you mean I should put shielding somewhere else? If so, could you detail?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Just scout around the solar equipment with an am portable for noise. Plenty of cheap obsolete
          Good thought. So I took a look on flebay. $325 for a TS-140!! My word. a new one 25 years ago was $625.. ...

I think I need to set my sights a little lower

Comment

Bruce: Honestly, sometimes you're a breath of common sense. Not sure how many 20 somethings would even understand what you're suggesting much less thought of it.

Respectfully,

Comment

You may have to put chokes and caps at the input and outputs of the charge controller, depending on the QRM you pick up. I mention the PV cables because they can also radiate noise.

If you need absolute quiet, the morningstar PWM line has a slow switching mode.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I tried that,

I put aluminum foil all over my head and still heard voices...

Or did you mean I should put shielding somewhere else? If so, could you detail?

Thanks
                needs to be lead(Pb) Sheets. Available at plumbing supply. You put it facing towards what you want to protect like your head, testicles or electronics

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                  You may have to put chokes and caps at the input and outputs of the charge controller, depending on the QRM you pick up. I mention the PV cables because they can also radiate noise.

If you need absolute quiet, the morningstar PWM line has a slow switching mode.
                  As I have not ever experienced solar and HF operations in close proximity, I have no idea what to expect.

If chokes & caps at the input and output of the charge controller and knock it down to a reasonable level then I will move forward. If I was going to see huge QRM I may stick to 2m & 70cm.

Thanks.

Comment

Can I take the foil off of my head now?

Comment

If chokes & caps at the input and output of the charge controller and knock it down to a reasonable level
                      then I will move forward. If I was going to see huge QRM I may stick to 2m & 70cm.
                      Do not give up so easily, that is part of the game. Just use an MPPT controller, as the other
                      type turns your entire array into a noise antenna. It comes down to
                      !. Fix the noise source if you can
                      2. contain it with shielding
                      3. filter any leads going into the shield

Shielding is like keeping air in a balloon. A gap anywhere will let it out, including a
                      door seam. A gap of 1/10 wavelength is OK. Bruce Roe

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Moving forward with my RV project I have started considering installing an HF rig. I have never run HF in close proximity to charge controllers or inverters and did not consider the potential for RFI.

I came across another thread discussing RFI issues with grid tied solar and started poking around and have not found a clear answer to my concern.

I gave my Kenwood to my brother some time back and have not found a soul in the county with HF gear to test with. I may have to order a new rig just to try it out. If I am doomed to failure, I will spare myself the agrivation and cost.

Dang! It just occurred to me that it's been 18+ years since I gave away my last HF rig.... Time goes by too quickly.
                        MS with wiz and Magnum Inv no RF on RF Dect, 1st pic low sensitivity 2nd pic hi sens same result with Inverter

hf1.JPGhf2.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Land View Post

MS with wiz and Magnum Inv no RF on RF Dect, 1st pic low sensitivity 2nd pic hi sens same result with Inverter

hf1.JPGhf2.JPG
                          Thank you!

That is what I was after.
                          It looks like the RFI will be manageable. Now I need to start looking at antenna options. A 40m NVIS on the roof?

Comment

I need to start looking at antenna options. A 40m NVIS on the roof?
                            I put the big ant on a tower 300 feet from the house, cause it attracts lighting. Near my panels, also cannot be
                            seen from the house. Bruce Roe

Comment

I put the big ant on a tower 300 feet from the house, cause it attracts lighting. Near my panels, also cannot be
                              seen from the house. Bruce Roe
                              Unfortunately I cannot take the tower with me.....

I have an old G5RV out in the garage. Maybe I could loft that with a helium balloon on each end?

Seriously, this is turning into a fun challenge. I get to explore the evolution of mobile HF antennas over the last 20 years.

Thank you Everyone for the input.

Comment

Working...
                              X