Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigbillsd
    • Apr 2018

Looking for a forum on Li batteries for RV's

I am considering Li batteries for my RV. The prices have come way down and the advantages sound incredible (from all the marketing BS) But before I make that financial jump I want to find out what others are experiencing. Googling for them turn up nothing relevant. Thanks, Bill

PS. I only have room for 4 batteries and we currently use about 200 AH per 24 hour period when boondocking. My 520 AH of LA batteries are struggling to keep up with that and the relatively quick recharge to 80% then the inevitable slowdown to a charging crawl doesn't work so well when you want to charge them only with solar. Stick in a cloudy day or two and the genny is shaking the coach for a lot of hours. The hype about Li is you can stay in "bulk" charge to 98% which would help with the short solar charging hours outside of summer. (we are @ Meziadin Lake BC) .
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Something else to consider, is that Li battery performance starts to drop at 40F ( 5 C ), and they cannot be allowed to charge below frost point ( 0 degrees C )

[I][FONT=Arial]Li ion can be fast charged from 5
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Bigbillsd
      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
      Something else to consider, is that Li battery performance starts to drop at 40F ( 5 C ), and they cannot be allowed to charge below frost point ( 0 degrees C )

[I][FONT=Arial]Li ion can be fast charged from 5
      Thanks Mike, Yes, I try to stay far away from places that get down to 40 degrees. I live in San Diego and that's about the lowest it gets. I did get caught in 32 degree weather on August 17th ( a couple weeks back) near Watson Lake, Yukon.. Three days of snow completely unexpected by everyone there. I'm still in the beginning of looking at Li battery's. We are camping in Meziadin Lake this week after spending 6 weeks RVing around Alaska and are slowly heading south toward home so temps will only be getting warmer. It's been in the high 60's this week and even reaching 70 a couple of days.
      I found this link to li batteries that is probably too good to be true, but might be worth speculating with $1k to play with. And the size listed for 100ah bat is really small compared to my Crown 260 LA batteries. Sure wish I could find a decent battery forum with folks using li.

-Bill

Comment

Working...