Do I need to fuse solar panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to fuse solar panels?

I have 6 335w 38v0c 9.5 amp panels that I plan to run 3 parallel sets of 2 in series into a box over 10awg wire, where I combine them then the combined wires will go through a 60 amp breaker. Is there a need to put a fuse between the panel and the combiner bar?

The simple answer is yes. Any time you wire more than 2 panels or strings in parallel you have to fuse or provide overcurrent protection for each string.

So with a 2S3P set up you would need 3 fuses. One for each parallel string of 2 panels.

Once you have combined the 3 parallel sets of panels you need to include a fuse for the wire between the combiner box and charge controller. If you use a 60amp breaker then your wire needs to be able to handle that amperage or about a #6 awg.

Comment

All three parallel strings need protection as listed on the back of the panel (look for something like Max Fuse 13A) This is usually done in a combiner box, where each string has it's own protection. here's how I used a 6 position Midnight Solar combiner box to protect panel strings & controller. I used a Dual MRBF fuse holder to protect other circuits.

20160821_132247cc.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Sounds great, Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X