Are MIDI fuses good enough for small LFP setups?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jman
    • Dec 2017

Are MIDI fuses good enough for small LFP setups?

My midi fuses are rated at 5000A IC, and is this enough for your typical 12V 120AH sized LFP battery? I use these fuses in between charger & busbar for example.
    My setup is very compact so I don't have the space for the T class high IC fuses. Or else I would use them.

What is the concern about blowing out windows? Just for the operator eye damage?
    cheers.
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

5000 Amp fuse? The fuse should be based on wire size and wire size should be based on the Amps that your charger puts out. After you figure that out the window issue can be addressed if it is an issue.
    Last edited by Ampster; 08-17-2019, 03:50 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Jman
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Ampster
      5000 Amp fuse? The fuse should be based on wire size and wire size should be based on the Amps that your charger puts out. After you figure that out the window issue can be addressed if it is an issue.
      No, 5000 short circuit amps or interrupt capacity or breaking capacity. Are these fuses safe enough with a 120AH of lifepo4 short circuit current in the event of a short? I have no idea what the short circuit current of a lifepo4 is.

Comment

• NEOH
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jman

No, 5000 short circuit amps or interrupt capacity or breaking capacity. Are these fuses safe enough with a 120AH of lifepo4 short circuit current in the event of a short? I have no idea what the short circuit current of a lifepo4 is.
        Post a URL to the exact fuse you are using.
        The fuse must be DC rated.
        Yes, 5000 DC Amps IC is "good enough".

Comment

Working...