What Charge Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Charge Controller?

Just purchased 6 335 Watt panels for my bus to charge 8 6v 235ah lead acid batteries setup in a 24v bank.
    Was looking at an outback fm80 for a charge controller, would this work well, or is there a batter option?

Also, the reason for that much panel is not just to charge the bank, but to run my 12k btu minisplit ac during the hot hours of the day.

Thanks,
    dave

Originally posted by MambaJack View Post
    Just purchased 6 335 Watt panels for my bus to charge 8 6v 235ah lead acid batteries setup in a 24v bank.
    Was looking at an outback fm80 for a charge controller, would this work well, or is there a batter option?

Also, the reason for that much panel is not just to charge the bank, but to run my 12k btu minisplit ac during the hot hours of the day.

Thanks,
    dave
    If you're running those panels in series (which you def should) and you don't need a lot of bells and whistles with your charge controller there's a strip down midnight classic on sale at sun elec and renvu for $360 and $290. Seems like an unbeatable deal.

Comment

Thanks,
      dave
      If you don't need a lot of bells and whistles the Midnight classic 250 is on sale at renvu for $290.

Comment

Originally posted by nwdiver View Post

If you're running those panels in series (which you def should) and you don't need a lot of bells and whistles with your charge controller there's a strip down midnight classic on sale at sun elec and renvu for $360 and $290. Seems like an unbeatable deal.
        Cool, I will take a look?

Couple questions,
        I definitely run them in series

Comment

Originally posted by nwdiver View Post

Thanks, I will take a look.
          Couple questions:
          What is the reason that i should run them all in series?
          Are any of the stripped down components of the controller big deals?
          Characteristics of this SPECIAL EDITION:

Comment

Is there a specific reason i should run them all in series?
            Are there any of the stripped down components that I will miss not having.

THanks,
            dave

Comment

THanks,
              dave
              Not that I can really think of... it doesn't do boost so your string needs to have a higher voltage than the battery... I don't understand how that would really be useful...

Comment

THanks,
                dave
                For simple usage it's fine. I bought one as a spare for my classic 200
                Has ethernet, can use the Local App for control / viewing status.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Nice that you can run high voltage into it if you need to. If you don't need the high voltage input the regular Classic 250's are pretty pricy compared to the 150 and 200. The thing I don't care for is the 55 amp charging limit @ 48 volts.
                  2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

This seems like a great option. however midnites sizing tool is saying that the 2010 watts is excessive.
                    I wonder if this would ever actually be an issue with panel inefficiency, and the fact that i am mounting them all flat on a bus roof.
                    Thoughts?

Comment

yes, the midnight sizer can't anticipate panel losses in bus roof mounting, so you are likely OK. Also, with 24V battery, don't wire panels for more than 55V or so, that will keep conversion losses down. (and less heat in the controller)
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Ah cool. Thanks for the advice. So my panels are VOC 41 and VMP 34.5. Does this mean running all 6 panels parallel into a combiner box?

Comment

Ah cool. Thanks for the advice. So my panels are VOC 41 and VMP 34.5. Does this mean running all 6 panels parallel into a combiner box?
                          What's your charging voltage for a 24V bank ? About 32V for an EQ cycle. On a sunny day, your VMP is going to be only 33V. That's not enough for a MPPT to work well, so I'd think you have to have 2 in series. Your panels are an unfortunate voltage. Run the Midnight sizer again with higher ambient temps, and see if a single panel is enough voltage. I think it's marginal for hot weather, and you risk not fully charging when hot. So you would need a generator to top off for the last 2 hours daily in heat.

Comment

What's your charging voltage for a 24V bank ? About 32V for an EQ cycle. On a sunny day, your VMP is going to be only 33V. That's not enough for a MPPT to work well, so I'd think you have to have 2 in series. Your panels are an unfortunate voltage. Run the Midnight sizer again with higher ambient temps, and see if a single panel is enough voltage. I think it's marginal for hot weather, and you risk not fully charging when hot. So you would need a generator to top off for the last 2 hours daily in heat.
                            Yea, if .i put a single panel into the calculator, it shows all green.

Comment

Thanks Mike, Is there a way to confirm that this model has ethernet?

Comment

Working...
                              X