Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to understand different DC Cables - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to understand different DC Cables - help!

Hi - I've been using a panel to charge my generators in my camper for years now. The charging cable I was using finally broke. I ordered a new one, that I thought was the same thing, but it has a different DC plug (same size, though) and doesn't seem to work with my generators. What is the damn difference? How do I know which I'm buying? I've attached a photo - left is the old one that worked, right is the new one that does nothing. Both were labeled as the 5.5x2.1mm on amazon. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by lowroad View Post
    Hi - I've been using a panel to charge my generators in my camper for years now. The charging cable I was using finally broke. I ordered a new one, that I thought was the same thing, but it has a different DC plug (same size, though) and doesn't seem to work with my generators. What is the damn difference? How do I know which I'm buying? I've attached a photo - left is the old one that worked, right is the new one that does nothing. Both were labeled as the 5.5x2.1mm on amazon. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
    Is the polarity correct? You can check that with a meter.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
      Is the polarity correct? You can check that with a meter.
      Thanks for the response. As far as I can tell, everything is in working order. All was well until the last cord broke. It seems to be just this cable not working with my specific generators that is the issue. I'd like to buy another one with the correct plug, but I don't understand the difference. It's clearly visible that they're a different style, but they're labeled as the same thing. I'm clearly missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by lowroad View Post
        Thanks for the response. As far as I can tell, everything is in working order. All was well until the last cord broke. It seems to be just this cable not working with my specific generators that is the issue. I'd like to buy another one with the correct plug, but I don't understand the difference. It's clearly visible that they're a different style, but they're labeled as the same thing. I'm clearly missing something.
        If the polarity is correct, both pins are making contact and there's not too much loss in the connector, then it's not the connector.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
          If the polarity is correct, both pins are making contact and there's not too much loss in the connector, then it's not the connector.
          It was the connector. It just didn't work with my generators. I ordered a couple different brands and luckily one of them had the correct plug. Still not sure what the difference is, or why they're labeled the same online. Thanks for trying to help.

Comment

Working...
          X