Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What wire gauge for 80' run to this 2.52 watt, 0.21 amp, 12v light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wire gauge for 80' run to this 2.52 watt, 0.21 amp, 12v light?

Here's a link to the specs for the light that I'm installing: SL1000

I estimate the run to be somewhere in the 75'-80' length.

Thanks.

18 awg puts you at a little under 2%

Comment

Thanks!

How do you figure this thing? I've used a number of online 'wire gauge calculators', and I've contacted sources for 'expert advice', and I'm getting told everything from 22ga on up to 12ga. Not sure which calculator and/or source to believe.

Thanks again. The input is great.
      Last edited by Farman; 06-21-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Farman View Post
        Thanks!

How do you figure this thing? I've used a number of online 'wire gauge calculators', and I've contacted sources for 'expert advice', and I'm getting told everything from 22ga on up to 12ga. Not sure which calculator and/or source to believe.

Thanks again. The input is great.
        The calculation depends on what your "source" voltage is and the minimum voltage needed to run your load.

We can start with 12volt as your source and limit it to say a 2% drop and come up with a wire size but it really depends on what the 2 voltages are in my first statement.

Comment

Is that from the panel to controller or to the light? I once has a SL something till lightning took it out. Believe it is a PWM controller. Peak power point voltage of panel will be over 17V and the battery could be up to 15V. PWM is like a direct connect. The panel will drop down to whatever the battery is. That means even a 2V loss in the wires makes absolutely no difference. In this case those tables aren't worth a hoot. A 160 feet of #20 is 1.6 ohms and at 0.21A is only a third of a volt. If it is to the lamp from the controller that isn't much of a drop either. I'd be looking at structural integrity of the wire as the deciding factor.

Comment

Originally posted by PNPmacnab View Post
            Is that from the panel to controller or to the light?
            To the light.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

The calculation depends on what your "source" voltage is...
              Since this light would need constant power, I assume that I would fuse the run directly from this battery to the light. If that's not the correct way to do it, please let me know. The battery tests at 14.6 volts.

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
              ...the minimum voltage needed to run your load
              Would that simply be 12v? If not, how do I find this voltage?

Comment

Originally posted by Farman View Post
                Since this light would need constant power, I assume that I would fuse the run directly from this battery to the light. If that's not the correct way to do it, please let me know. The battery tests at 14.6 volts.

Would that simply be 12v? If not, how do I find this voltage?

I would use 12V as my reference voltage for the drop calculation even if the battery will sometimes be above that value it makes the wire size a little bigger.

Yes install a fuse between the battery and load. Size it to protect the wire.

Comment

Is the light an LED with a driver circuit, or a simple resistor current limit, or is it an old school incandescent bulb ?
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

In the first post theres a link to the specs on he light it is led. Looks like a rv 1056 base led bulb. Without driver.
                    Last edited by Ho jo; 06-23-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X