Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know if I want to connect panels in series or parallel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know if I want to connect panels in series or parallel?

Hi! First time to the forum here...

Got a 77 VW camper last year and am doing an extended camping with it ( 1 week...)
    I have a 110 AH 12 battery, 2, 100 Watt panels, Renogy MPPT 30A Rover controller, my main draw will be a 6 amp refrig. I know there are other refrig's out there modern ones with better performance, but I am going to stay stock with the camper. There will be minimal light usage, but generally, how do I know if I want to connect panels in series or parallel? I understand how to do both ways, but what makes one chose one connection set over the other. I know in series, the voltage is additive, but the amperage remains the same, and vice versa for parallel.

Thanks so much, will be leaving Monday! - Happy trails!

Matt

You need to series wire your 12 volt panels to increase the voltage. MPPT controllers need higher than system voltage to do their magic. Be sure they are mounted where shadowing wont be a problem. Stay away from AC units, crank up vents and any other projections on the RV roof. In your case you don't likely have any of these items on the roof. Just giving general info which is important to know, especially with MPPT controllers and series wired panels.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

GREAT! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! Very helpful!

Comment

Working...
      X