Blew a 250 amp fuse the other day. How to avoid this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neweclipse View Post
    BTW: The sub-panel alone was never a solution to your problem...relay or relay plus sub-panel was.
    Sub panel is simple and bulletproof. Simple and safe are two big factors here.

Comment

Originally posted by neweclipse View Post
      So you are content with your manual/human dependent interaction over an automatic no-brainer solution, hope you sleep well.
      Can't imagine it fun to wake up dead...nothing new, but mis-calculations sometimes can cause bad things...

BTW: The sub-panel alone was never a solution to your problem...relay or relay plus sub-panel was.
      Everybody pay attention

I'm going to explain why the sub-panel nor the relay are necessary:

My inverter has a switch on it. "On," Off," or "Charger only."

The "Charger only" setting solves my problem. I mentioned this twice, already, but maybe I need to explain why.

My problem: When I am plugged into shore power and I am running my air conditioner, if I lose shore power, my inverter will take over and pull 12V DC power from the batteries and invert it into 120V AC and try to run the air conditioner. I do not want this, as the air conditioner draws WAY too much power when the compressor kicks in. The inverter will try anyway. My fuses will blow to protect the wires (see OP).

The solution: When I plug into shore power, I flip the switch on my inverter's remote to "charge only." This allows 120V AC to flow from shore power through my inverter and power my TT's 120V AC appliances, such as the air conditioner. If shore power is lost, every single 120V AC appliance in my TT will shut off. The inverter will NOT tap the batteries and try to invert their 12V DC power into 120V AC to power the 120V AC appliances in the TT, as it is turned off. It is in "charge only" mode.. not "on" (inverter) mode. This is sooooooo much simpler than a sub-panel or a relay, and I'm confused why no one suggested it as an option. I find it hard to believe no one else on this forum has an inverter/charger.

In more simple terms: if I set my inverter to "charge only" mode, it's like I don't have an inverter, and the only power I get is from shore power. If the shore power shuts off, no more power.

And yeah, the sub-panel would absolutely have been a solution to my problem. I'm glad I don't have to F with it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

The problem was that the inverter was overloaded by the Air Conditioner when shore power was disconnected. Why do you think a sub panel was not a solution? My understanding was that the proposed sub panel would be powered by shore power and AC would only run from subpanel.
        Originally posted by jflorey2
        Sub panel is simple and bulletproof. Simple and safe are two big factors here.
        Yes, I stand corrected, a sub-panel is a Perfect Solution.

Comment

Working...
        X