Help please with rv solar installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please with rv solar installation

Hi everyone I have a question about my rv solar system used to charge my 2x110ah leisure batteries while rv is in storage, the panel VOC reads 21v and open cicuit amps show approximately 4 amps yet when I wire the panel into the charge controller it only outputs 0.1 amp and 0.1 volt above battery voltage which at time of checking was 12.2 volts, I'm not sure on the size of the panel but have tried a spare charge controller which I proved in the garden with a small 10w panel and battery from shed.
    is this normal or do I have a fault in the rv panel or panel wiring?
    TIA
    colin

With the OC 4 amp and OC 21v rating I would guess the panel is about 60 to 70 watts. (which is a little small for a 110Ah battery system)

I presume you are using at least a 10amp charge controller between the panel and battery. If so then make sure you connect the CC to the battery first and then the panel to the CC.

Comment

It's a steca pr3030 30 amp controller, the instalation was already on the motorhome when we bought it and as I said it's only being used to charge the bateries while in storage it's the fact that it doesn't seem to be putting a lot into the batteries ie 0.1 amps when batteries are only 12.2v when I connected my 10w panel and the spare 20a charge controller to a 12v battery reading 12v I got 0.4 amps and 13.5 volts so I'm worried that there may be a fault with the panel or wiring from it to the controller

Comment

Originally posted by c.smith1967 View Post
        It's a steca pr3030 30 amp controller, the instalation was already on the motorhome when we bought it and as I said it's only being used to charge the bateries while in storage it's the fact that it doesn't seem to be putting a lot into the batteries ie 0.1 amps when batteries are only 12.2v when I connected my 10w panel and the spare 20a charge controller to a 12v battery reading 12v I got 0.4 amps and 13.5 volts so I'm worried that there may be a fault with the panel or wiring from it to the controller
        There may be some issue with the equipment or wiring. You should be able to check out each component with a digital volt meter. Without knowing more there could be multiple problems from bad wiring, charge controller, open fuse, cracked panel, etc.

Comment

The voc of the panel is about 21 to 27 volts when tested with a multimeter and open circuit amps about 4 these readings are taken at the end of the cable as it goes into the charge controller multimeter shows batteries at 12.2v I've swapped out the charge controller with a known working 1 but with both controllers as soon as I wire in the rv panel the output drops to 0.1v above battery voltage ie 12.3v and only 0.1 amp on the output of the charge controller

Comment

Working...
          X