12V Solar / A/C Battery Maintainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V Solar / A/C Battery Maintainer

Is there a way to keep a single 12V battery on a maintenance charge using solar when available but automatically switch to an A/C source when the solar isn't enough?

That, my friend, is going to require a float rated battery charger (that will not boil the battery dry), a relay wired up to the solar, a solar charge controller and a Solar panel.

How will the relay know the solar is insufficient? every night the solar will shut down.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

If all you are doing is a solar maintenance charge why would you need to do switching to an ac source? Are you in an area that will be without sun for months? AGM batteries have a 6 month, or more shelf life without any maintenance charging
      Last edited by littleharbor; 04-13-2019, 08:19 AM.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Thanks!

This is is more of a curiosity thing. I just moved to northern Michigan from Florida last October and the amount of sun we get is definitely noticeable! I do plan on doing some fishing with just a small trolling motor eventually and was thinking about options to keep that battery ready to go.

Comment

Working...
        X