How to Solar system for a Van to charge Lime, Birds Electric Scooters off grid.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Path
    • Feb 2019

How to Solar system for a Van to charge Lime, Birds Electric Scooters off grid.

How to set up a Solar system for a VW Bus or Van to charge Lime, Birds Electric Scooters off grid.

Hello!
    I hope you can Gide me towards the light with my issue...

I want to buy a VW T2 bus for log time travel "van life" although I do not consider it to be "Van life" but who cares about that.

So I want to come up with a Solar set up to charge the electric Scooters inside the WV bus Van and then this set up would be the one I will use for that very long trip.

Why?

Well because here I can buy a VW bus in very good shape for the equivalent of US$3100 and charging 10 scooters for 30 days I can make in my area $920. So it would be a great opportunity to finance the VW bus, get the money to pay back for it, pay back the solar system and then make money for the VW bus motor home conversion and also save money for the trip.

BUT. I live in an apartment, fourth floor no lift, this scooters actually weight a lot, so to bring 10 up stairs and then 10 down is out of the question, although the other more important issue is that I also don't have room on my tiny studio for them, not even 2 scooters.

I do not have any way to plug an extension cord to the VW.

The bus would be parked outside in the street with the scooters charging inside over night from 10pm to 6am
    That is why I can not do it with a gas generator, they are too loud, need ventilation.

I have read people doing this with a VAN and a gas generator, but parked on their property.

Charging an electric scooter from Lime Bird and similar electric Scooter.

-They supposedly take 5hours to charge when fully discharged. People report that usually many are around 50% to even 80% discharged when they "harvest them"
    -They supposedly consume around 80 watt each when charging.
    -They supposedly have a battery of 7800mha each. At least the Xiaomi Mi m365 scooter has.
    -The scooter charger delivers 12v at 2a and have an input of 220v

+ I found the Segway - ES4 KickScooter Ninebot This is the one LIME uses. I attach a screenshot of the the spec found in the manual. the ES4 is the most powerful of the scooters, the one with 374Wh battery.

I would round numbers of the charger as the one I wrote above output 80 W and output current to 2a can take up to 7 hours for charging, when fully drained.

*** I need a set up with batteries that can and must be located in the Living, sleeping area of the VW bus, so they need to be the type that do not create any type of toxic fumes.

In the future the set up needs to feed a Freezer, a TV, many USB charger and 12V chargers, cameras, laptop, tablet, cellphones, drones etc with out any problem. I really think that consumption should be more than what 10 or 15 electric scooter charging must consume but at the moment don't have the knowledge to know if this is true.

Usually a VW bus big solar set up is around 300watts of solar panels with an inverter . But I have no idea if this typical basic set up can charge at least 10 scooters.

That is were I get lost because I do not know what type of math do I need to do to figure out the set up.

Ideally I would like to charge more than 10 scooters, around 15.

But again here is were I get lost

The only thing I know about the scooter charging is that people that have done or do this work, job, say the consumption of charging each scooter is so low that they kind of don't calculate it. is something like $10 to $15 cents each charge on the electrical bill consumption.

Thanks in advance

Scooter Battery and charger Specs down here, in the attachment.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Path; 02-22-2019, 11:49 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

So, I figure each scooter's charger consumes about 100W for 5 hours (you didn't say which battery is on the scooter)
    500wh for each scooter, x 10 = 5kwh to recharge 10 scooters (includes system losses)

At nighttime, you cannot use solar to charge the batteries, it either has to be from a BIG battery in the van, or a generator.
    Charging 10 scooters at once would take about 1kw of generator. Honda makes a little inverter generator that is very quiet.
    That would run for about 5 hours to charge 10 batteries. You would have to look up how much fuel the tank holds, and how long it will run for.

I have a spreadsheet I've compiled, showing different batteries, cost and weight. What's right for you ?

How would you recharge the van battery bank - engine alternator while driving to venue, or park in sun with solar panels on roof and bake yourself ?

Little generator in a security cage, on a receiver hitch rack might be the best option

GearDeckBoxReciever.jpg

BattSnapshot.jpg
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Path
      • Feb 2019

Thanks Mike90250 for taking the time to share your knowledge and suggestions.

Reading through it I must say I got a little bit confused.
      Maybe you rushed through my post and not read everything?
      You say I didn't wrote what battery is on the scooter, but I wrote it up there...

"
      + I found the Segway - ES4 KickScooter Ninebot This is the one LIME uses. I attach a screenshot of the the spec found in the manual. the ES4 is the most powerful of the scooters, the one with 374Wh battery "

I also attached the screenshot of the scooter owners manual with all de details of the scooter, battery and charger.

Now maybe you then looked up again and found the information and then come up with the 500Wh battery size, losses included?

Yes I am aware solar panels need sun, the idea is in the days the sun system would charge the batteries needed to store the energy and then at night use that stored energy to charge the ideally 10 or 15 scooters.

Then again I got confused when you suggested to use a generator to do this job since I wrote up there that SADLY I can not do this.

I wrote that I read that somebody is doing this on a van with a generator.

There I got aware of yamaha and honda "quite generator" I researched that but they will not be an option because they have two 110v output but those chare a 15a for between the 2 outlets.

A far better option would be something like WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator a third of the price dedicated 20a per each 110v outlet and same db noise. I think Rainier-R2200i also has 20a per outlet and db noise is around the same, 48 to 56 or something like that.

But for all the videos I saw on the yamaha, honda Wen, Rainier-R2200i and other similar "quite" generator, they are actually to loud, even in the economy setting for the place were my Van would need to be parked.

There is another possibility, those fake generators that are actually only a big lithium battery with inverter unit, that I could charge in the day at home and then take down to the van at night to charge the scooters, but since I still don't figured out what type of calculation I need to do to figure out the size od the system I am not sure if those things could do the job. or how many I would need to buy.

With your post I realized one thing that the van would not actually get full direct sun all day for sure, I think it could only have 4 hours of full sun exposure and then just day light

Comment

• Path
        • Feb 2019

I wrote a big answer to your post but then when I published it it was published and showed nothing, I reloaded the page and the post I published disappeared.
        so short this time.
        the battery on the scooter is 374Wh this info was and is on my post up there and all the specs is on the attached screen shot of the owners manuals I posted up there, charges, battery specs.

Just help me understand what calculation I need to do to figure out the size of an electric set up to charge this things, ideally 12 minimum, so I can research other alternatives by myself. thank you

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Well, ignore all the generator stuff. I'm just throwing ideas at you.

a dead 375wh battery is likely to consume 500wh with recharging, charger losses and inverter losses.

What about charging a battery from the van, while you are waiting to rent them out ? either idle the van and use it's alternator, or a
          small inverter generator.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• paulcheung
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

To the OP, I think you need at least 10KWH Lithium battery or 15KWH other type battery to get the work done. you can start to calculate what kind gear to get this much power.

Comment

• buddyxyx
              • Dec 2021

anyone out there no how to troubleshoot delta h6 ac overload error

Comment

Working...