Your thoughts on these Super thin portable panels with Longevity over standard glass?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jman
    • Dec 2017

Your thoughts on these Super thin portable panels with Longevity over standard glass?

Interested in these super thin portable solar panels:

Constructed from A-Grade Monocrystalline Solar Cells, ETFE textured film and a 17mm lightweight aluminium frame - designed to travel Australia with you.

I have read comments online about these types of panels that the protective film over the cells can tarnish in sunlight over time reducing output .unlike glass of course. Dunno if it's true.

Are they going to last at least 10years of 10 camping trips each year for a week or so?

Will they last 25years well stored with small usage only?

Anything else that would be a problem?

cheers
  • NCmountainsOffgrid
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2018

with the little use you portray, I doubt you'd see any real degradation over time since you are not leaving them out 24/7/365 for 10 years straight...
    I'm still waiting on solar arrays that are actually built into the AWNING of the rv or motorhome, a full length awning on each side, or two on each side,etc, so that when you arrive and setup, you simply run out all your awnings for collecting all the solar sun hours you can...

Comment

• MichaelK!
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2015

I like to go snorkeling, and have stored gear out of the sun in the closet at room temperature. Every 10 years or so, I've had to discard everything as the plastic parts disintegrate. This is inside the house, not in the garage where there might be solvent fumes. If these panels are made with similar plastizing agents, I would expect similar degradation.

Comment

• Jman
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by MichaelK!
        I like to go snorkeling, and have stored gear out of the sun in the closet at room temperature. Every 10 years or so, I've had to discard everything as the plastic parts disintegrate. This is inside the house, not in the garage where there might be solvent fumes. If these panels are made with similar plastizing agents, I would expect similar degradation.
        Surley not. I have appliances decades old & the plastics are fine. Some plastics can take a few years in full sun each day without any problems. Your snorkel gear must be the exception.

Comment

• MichaelK!
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Jman

Surley not. I have appliances decades old & the plastics are fine. Some plastics can take a few years in full sun each day without any problems. Your snorkel gear must be the exception.
          Do you understand what plasticizers are? Modern plastics are polymers of a specific molecule, which when polymerized are quite rigid. Plasticizers (melamine for example) are cross-linkers that disrupt the even polymers, resulting in a softer, more plyable material. Of course, those plasticizers are not going to be used in what is supposed to be the hard shell of a major appliance. In regards to a plastic DESIGNED to be left in the sun, they are typically made with UV protectants that specifically prevent degradation by absorbing the UV light. Leave a polyethylene milk jug in the sun for a few months, and you'll see what UV damage does.

Comment

• Jman
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by MichaelK!

Do you understand what plasticizers are? Modern plastics are polymers of a specific molecule, which when polymerized are quite rigid. Plasticizers (melamine for example) are cross-linkers that disrupt the even polymers, resulting in a softer, more plyable material. Of course, those plasticizers are not going to be used in what is supposed to be the hard shell of a major appliance. In regards to a plastic DESIGNED to be left in the sun, they are typically made with UV protectants that specifically prevent degradation by absorbing the UV light. Leave a polyethylene milk jug in the sun for a few months, and you'll see what UV damage does.
            It's my fault for even responding to your pointless comments. You mentioned "If these panels are made with similar plastizing agents" Seriously out of line.

You have nothing but a general bit of advice, and can't give me an answer.

Comment

Working...