12V System Diagram Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V System Diagram Review

Hi all - I was hoping to get some feedback on the attached diagram. This is a system I've designed to go inside a van. One aspect I know I need feedback on is the wire gauges. I think I've over gauged in several places, so I'm interested to know the pros/ cons of doing so. That said, I'm more than welcome to feedback on all aspects and please let me know if there is any additional information needed to provide informed comments.

Additional Notes:
    1. After reading through various topics on this forum, I'm going to scrap the 3000W inverter - I never really needed it for my power usage, just thought it would be a nice to have if I ever wanted to extend my AC usage.
    2. The tool I have to crimp large wire is a simple hammer crimp - is this trash?
    3. I also plan to us a battery isolater for charging in addition to solar charging. It is not pictured at time of first writing but I will add it.
    4. Based on feedback, I will update the diagram. I was unable to find a lot of diagrams online that included wire gauge/ fuse sizes (with included/ inline why's, explanations and notes), so I would like to create one as a potential resource for others as an output of this topic (assuming it's fruitful, of course!).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jzamby; 01-29-2019, 01:42 PM.

Originally posted by Jzamby View Post
    .....2. The tool I have to crimp large wire is a simple hammer crimp - is this trash?......
    It's a perfectly good tool for making a crimp that will melt when you least expect it. Better to let a boat yard or battery shop make the crimps on 8ga or larger. 10ga is about all human hands can reliably do, unless you have the 3 foot long handles on your $400 crimper

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

When I click on the attached file I get an "Invalid File Specified" error. Is that because I'm new and my member status hasn't been confirmed yet?
      I am working on designing an upgrade to my travel trailer's solar system, so I'd be interested in seeing the diagram.

Thanks.

Comment

1. Use a diagonal connection to parallel your batteries, not the chained connection shown in the diagram. See http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
        There is lots more good information at that site.
        2. Consider going to 24 volts instead of 12V if you can find the appliances you need in 24V models.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

It's a perfectly good tool for making a crimp that will melt when you least expect it. Better to let a boat yard or battery shop make the crimps on 8ga or larger. 10ga is about all human hands can reliably do, unless you have the 3 foot long handles on your $400 crimper
          This has been my Go-To Crimping Tool&die that I used in 2011 and still holding on my Back-Up Batteries & Genny. By making 3 concentric crimps with 8Lb hammer ( Apx 2500inLbs2 PSI) and jig. It's just time consuming about 2-3 mins per.

chiz1.JPG
          chiz2a.jpg
          Last edited by Paul Land; 02-04-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X