Charge Controller Parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge Controller Parameters

I have two 6v golf cart batteries in series...Just wondering what everyone is setting float value, discharge reconnect and discharge stop to? I set my stop to the highest to prevent batteries form going too low, but not certain on the other settings. Thanks for help/suggestions.
    Last edited by CatchingSun; 12-17-2018, 04:58 PM.

If a 12 volt battery system goes below 12.2V you are in the red zone and killing them off to an early grave. It is best not to discharge below 50% SOC for most FLA type batteries. The measured voltage can vary depending on the manufacturer but I would never go below 12.4V.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      If a 12 volt battery system goes below 12.2V you are in the red zone and killing them off to an early grave. It is best not to discharge below 50% SOC for most FLA type batteries. The measured voltage can vary depending on the manufacturer but I would never go below 12.4V.
      Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is the golf car batteries can be safely drained to lower levels unlike car batteries. From what I have gathered with these two batteries so far is fully charged on one of these "6v" batteries is 6.37 (12.74V) per battery.

Although, I am as equally concerned with over charging.

The load cutoff on this CC is 11.3 at the highest.

EDIT: Connected my smart charger to them and will let them charge overnight to max. and then check voltage.
      Last edited by CatchingSun; 12-18-2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchingSun View Post

Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is the golf car batteries can be safely drained to lower levels unlike car batteries. From what I have gathered with these two batteries so far is fully charged on one of these "6v" batteries is 6.37 (12.74V) per battery.

Although, I am as equally concerned with over charging.

The load cutoff on this CC is 11.3 at the highest.

EDIT: Connected my smart charger to them and will let them charge overnight to max. and then check voltage.
        The reason golf courses drain the batteries further then they should is because they replace them every year or couple of years. If you don't mind purchasing new batteries that often then you can drain them below 50% SOC.

A quality charger should not over charge a battery because once the battery has been charged it will go to float mode. You have to know what type of charger you have and if it is safe to charge overnight.

I have an EZGO golf cart with 6 x 6V batteries and the smart charger does a great job of getting them back to 100% SOC without cooking them.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

The reason golf courses drain the batteries further then they should is because they replace them every year or couple of years. If you don't mind purchasing new batteries that often then you can drain them below 50% SOC.

A quality charger should not over charge a battery because once the battery has been charged it will go to float mode. You have to know what type of charger you have and if it is safe to charge overnight.

I have an EZGO golf cart with 6 x 6V batteries and the smart charger does a great job of getting them back to 100% SOC without cooking them.

[Fingers crossed] 40 amp overnight...still charging.

Comment

[Fingers crossed] 40 amp overnight...still charging.
            When was the last time you checked the specific gravity in those batteries? That is the only true indicator of SOC.

Comment

Never checked them..they are about two weeks old.

Comment

Never checked them..they are about two weeks old.
                After the charging is done and they have rested (no load) for a few hours I would check the SG of each cell and make a record so you know where there are today and can be compared to when they get tested again. That record will tell you their true SOC and life.

Comment

Working...
                X