X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomlancaster
    • Oct 2018

Solar panel regulator port loose

Hi,

The 4th port on my CMP12 solar panel regulator (https://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-CMP.../dp/B00H4N05H4) has become loose - in particular, the plate which the black negative wire screws into. I noticed all the other plates are firmly fixed in, whilst this one just falls out. The solar panel only charges our van while I push the wire in using a screwdriver.

Does anyone know of a solution to this? Eg. Can I buy a replacement part, or rewire to a different port?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice!

Tom
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

It sounds like the "port" or terminal screw has been stripped and will not tighten down on the wire. I would get a new CMP12 CC.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by tomlancaster
      The 4th port on my CMP12 solar panel regulator has become loose - in particular, the plate which the black
      negative wire screws into. The solar panel only charges our van while I push the wire in using a screwdriver.

Does anyone know of a solution to this? Eg. Can I buy a replacement part, or rewire to a different port?
      Tom
      Some of us cheapskates would take the cover off and see if that terminal is directly connected to another
      terminal. If yes, run the loose wire over there or splice onto the other wire. Make sure this does not
      cause an increase in current on one terminal that might overheat. Currents flowing in opposite
      directions will partly cancel.

Failing that, a longer screw might be put through with nut and soldered in place. Then wire attached.
      Another way is tap out to the next size if practical. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...