X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Endeavour
    lets take the car analogy then - obviously you don't drive connected to the gas pump (duh!) , but neither are you running the engine when filling up with gas. It's an either/or situation. You are either refilling and not powering the engine (appliances) or you are driving around and not able to refill (recharge)
    BS there is nothing to keep you from running the engine while you fill up. Ever been to a truck stop or drive a diesel vehicle? Common practice to leave the engine running while filling up with fuel.Exact same thing going on here. The pump can supply more gas then the engine demands so the EXCESS flow fills the tank.

Originally posted by Endeavour
    so the charge controller is recharging batteries when it has solar power, but what happens to the output (appliances) during this process, are you basically opening up a larger circuit?
    No if you open a circuit, turn the switch off, no current flows.

Let's try this something you might understand, or at least understand what it is, not necessarily how it works, Money. You open a bank account and deposit $100. You make $50 per day and is deposited into your bank account. However no one ever told or taught you that you have to live below your means and you think you are entitled to more so it cost you your $100 per day to live. Care to guess what is going to happen in a few days? That is right, you get educated on bankruptcy and loose your home and blame it on Trump and vote for Bernie Sanders. .

In reality is as Mike touched upon. The battery is a simple buffer or gas tank and the panels are the pump. Three possibilities exist under noon full sun.

1. Batteries are fully charged, and no load demands power. No current flows anywhere because there is no place for it to go. That is Ohm's Law Current = Voltage / Resistance. A load has resistance and if the load is Open Circuit resistance is infinite and simple math says X / Infinity = 0

2. No load, but batteries are discharged. All power the panels can generate goes to the batteries as they are the only load.

3. Load is demanded and batteries are unknown state of charge. Panels are producing power. The load receives whatever power is demanded. If the power demanded by the load is less than what the panels can generate, the excess power goes to the batteries to charge them if needed to charge the batteries. If the power from the panels is less than the load is demanding, the batteries make up for the shortage and are discharging.
    Last edited by Sunking; 08-04-2018, 01:56 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Maggie Mae
      • Aug 2018

I just came onboard seeking an answer for this exact question. I think, by all the responses, I have my answer. Except one. If the PV modules (array) are supplying power to the load after the batteries are full, does it matter how the inverter and the load is connected to the battery? In other words, if the array is connected to one side of a battery bank, and the inverter to the other side, the array supplies power to the battery and the inverted takes power from the battery, "through" the battery. So should the array and inverter both be connected to the same side of the battery bank so the excess array wattage doesn't have to go through the battery, but rather flows directly to the inverter? Does it matter? Did I make any sense?

Comment

• sdold
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Maggie Mae
        So should the array and inverter both be connected to the same side of the battery bank so the excess array wattage doesn't have to go through the battery, but rather flows directly to the inverter? Does it matter? Did I make any sense?
        Yes, the array (actually the charge controller's output) and inverter connect to the battery at the same point. The battery doesn't have two "sides".

Comment

• Maggie Mae
          • Aug 2018

Thanks sdold. What I meant by "sides" is: say I have four batteries, two connected in Parallel, and two connected in parallel, and then the two banks connected in series to make one bank of 24-volts. There are four positive and four negative connection points on the bank. To which positive and negative battery posts do I connect the charge controller and inverter to? Does it matter? Can I connect the two devices to any positive and any negative post to any battery I choose or do they have to be connected to a certain battery(s) in the bank?

Comment

• sdold
            • Jun 2014

In your case it would be best to connect to opposite diagonal points in the system so that the parallel paths run through equal cable lengths. Something like the third graphic down on this page: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...-tutorial.html

Comment

• Maggie Mae
              • Aug 2018

Understood. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...