X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jman

Thanks. So by the sounds they all must have the ability to disable the governor for constant rpm? Or else how can an appliance run properley while other loads vary. There are no small portable inverter lpg units in my area and lpg is more appealing to me than petrol. All inverters are petrol.
    They dont disable the governor, the governor is always working.

The Governor regulates the throttle to keep engine running at the required RPM.

Just like cruise control in a car varies engine power to keep the car at the preset speed.

Comment

• Heatmypannel
      • Oct 2019

Why consider an LPG Conversion?

So, you have a perfectly good, gasoline-fueled, air-cooled portable genset. Why in the world would you want to hack it up (relatively speaking) to run off of Propane?

These are some of the reasons that have recently been cited for making such a conversion.
      Unlike gasoline, LPG does not degrade over time. Therefore, you always have a fresh, clean, water-free fuel source – even after months or years of storage.
      LPG will not evaporate from the carburetor fuel bowl and leave gummy residues to clog fuel jets like liquid gasoline.
      LPG burns cleaner – supposedly better for the environment.
      We do not pay high road or motor fuel taxes on LPG. Therefore, the cost per gallon is often lower than gasoline.
      If dedicating the genset to a 5th wheel or travel trailer, you do not need a new fuel source. The genset gas tank can be removed and the RV LPG supply used.
      When traveling, extra containers of gasoline are not needed. No slosh, spillage or evaporation. Also, lower risk of fire compared to an atmospherically vented gas tank/container.
      The LPG fuel source can easily be 30 or more feet from the genset allowing diverse installation opportunities.
      For home back-up power use, large LPG tanks are available for long term power outages (my home tank is 300 gallons and buried in the back yard – my last fill-up was $2.16 per gallon).
      LPG converted engines will also run off of natural gas, making them great for areas with gas mains in a power outage.
      Five-gallon LPG exchange tanks are available at most home stores, convenience markets, Wal-Mart and gasoline stations. Most larger campgrounds offer to fill with larger LPG tanks.
      Converted gensets are easily externally readjusted to compensate for altitude variations.
      Contrary to some info, converted gensets DO NOT produce any less power than they did when burning gasoline.
      Many of the small air-cooled engines can be easily and inexpensively converted to tri-fuel. These conversions will run off of gasoline, LPG or NG. My GX390 home backup genset is converted in this manner as was my previous B&S genset.
      A 5-gallon OPD style LPG tank will hold 4 gallons of liquid propane (now that’s a real oxymoron!). Enough fuel to run a typical GX200 class engine for over 24 continuous hours.

<link removed> Mod note: Please don't use this forum to promote your site.
      Last edited by sdold; 10-28-2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Heatmypannel
        Why consider an LPG Conversion?

LPG converted engines will also run off of natural gas, making them great for areas with gas mains in a power outage.
        You need a 2nd conversion to configure the orifice for Propane or Nat Gas. 2 different fuels, need different orifice. ( at least for stoves, water heaters and BBQ grills )
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• solardreamer
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Originally posted by Jman

Can you say if the green power CC2500 LPG genny is clean enough for a typical home AC Charger?
          It depends on what you mean by "home AC charger"? The generator you referenced seem to a traditional portable generator (i.e. not inverter generator) that typically uses a 3-phase AC motors to generate single phase ~60hz sinusoidal voltage waves that usually have 2400Hz noise riding on top of the 60hz waves. So, the power is sinusoidal but not as clean as grid power. Many devices can work with such power but not all. I can tell you such power not clean enough for the charger in my electric car. You will need to use inverter generators for sensitive devices that require clean power.
          Last edited by solardreamer; 10-28-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Originally posted by solardreamer

It depends on what you mean by "home AC charger"? The generator you referenced seem to a
            traditional portable generator (i.e. not inverter generator) that
            typically uses a 3-phase AC motors to generate single phase ~60hz sinusoidal voltage waves that usually have 2400Hz noise
            riding on top of the 60hz waves. So, the power is sinusoidal but not as clean as grid power. Many devices can work with such power but not all. I can tell you such power not clean enough for the charger in my electric car. You will need to use inverter generators for sensitive devices that require clean power.
            This is the time I call "put up or shut up" . There is no consumer generator I know of, that uses a 3 phase motor as a generation device. They nearly all use a conventional rotating field alternator (some are split phase for 240V & 120V output) to produce power. Unless highly loaded, they create a nearly perfect sine wave.
            You can see the labels on the winding below, Main1 , Main2 , Field winding, Excitation/ AVR winding, the mains go straight to the outlets via a circuit breaker.
            Inverter generators use a poly phase alternator, which is rectified to DC and then a inverter produces AC from that.

Example schematic:Firman_H07552-Electrical.pdf.png
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• solardreamer
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250

This is the time I call "put up or shut up" . There is no consumer generator I know of, that uses a 3 phase motor as a generation device. They nearly all use a conventional rotating field alternator (some are split phase for 240V & 120V output) to produce power. Unless highly loaded, they create a nearly perfect sine wave.
              You can see the labels on the winding below, Main1 , Main2 , Field winding, Excitation/ AVR winding, the mains go straight to the outlets via a circuit breaker.
              Inverter generators use a poly phase alternator, which is rectified to DC and then a inverter produces AC from that.

Example schematic:Firman_H07552-Electrical.pdf.png

Sorry I meant to say 3 wire alternator (for 120V/240V generator). Attached is the output wave form with noise.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by solardreamer; 10-28-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

That truly is a nasty waveform. But in 50 years, I've never heard of a alternator such as you describe. A web search only brings up AC Delco automotive alternators, nothing like what i'd use at my house to get 9Kw out of. Looking at the schematic I posted, what kind of alternator do you call that ?

Comment

• solardreamer
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  That truly is a nasty waveform. But in 50 years, I've never heard of a alternator such as you describe. A web search only brings up AC Delco automotive alternators, nothing like what i'd use at my house to get 9Kw out of. Looking at the schematic I posted, what kind of alternator do you call that ?
                  I don't really know but I was certainly not happy to see that waveform and I have had to learn more about engine generator/alternator/AVR then I care to. Before I finally decided to bite the bullet and get inverter generator for things that don't work with alternator/AVR generators I did do some research and it seems others have also seen similar. Here is some YouTube videos I had collected in my research that show similar waveform:

Starting at 5:40 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVsRex43K8
                  Starting at 26:00 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2-3dyBHlhc

The generators are all different make and model so I concluded it's not uncommon for alternator/AVR generators and I couldn't find any practical way to clean up the power so I gave up. I should have suspected early on from the fact that generator vendors don't typically provide THD specs for their alternator/AVR generators. As ugly as the waveform is the THD still probably between 5-10% and works fine with many devices.

Comment

Working...