Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jman
    • Dec 2017

LPG gas portable generators?

Why wouldn't these be good over a Petrol 4 stroke unit? To me you have all appliances that need gas so why not make it a universal fuel. Plus gas bottles can keep for years ready to go.

Do gas units last longer or shorter than petrol? Just looking why I shouldn't get an LPG. I have no real experience with either petrol or gas.

thanks.

• peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

Why limit yourself, there are many dual fuel generators available that run gasoline (petrol) or propane. There are also conversion kits available for some gasoline generators. The generator output is usually lower when running on propane. The engines generally last longer and stores better when run on propane exclusively as gasoline, tends to leave deposits when it evaporates out of the carburetor while the generator is not used. Keep in mind the energy density of propane (Btu/lb) is lower than gasoline so you need more pounds of propane stored than an equivalent amount of gasoline. In very cold conditions, typically below freezing, propane has an issue with vaporization, Each container can only vaporize a certain volume of liquid propane to gaseous propane, if you try to pull any more the engine will stall. Larger bulk tanks have more capacity but are still limited. In emergency conditions access to propane is usually less than gasoline although both run out.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

They work just fine. In fact for stationary generators, no one uses gasoline and use either LPG, NG, or diesel.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Jman
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by peakbagger
        Why limit yourself, there are many dual fuel generators available that run gasoline (petrol) or propane. There are also conversion kits available for some gasoline generators. The generator output is usually lower when running on propane. The engines generally last longer and stores better when run on propane exclusively as gasoline, tends to leave deposits when it evaporates out of the carburetor while the generator is not used. Keep in mind the energy density of propane (Btu/lb) is lower than gasoline so you need more pounds of propane stored than an equivalent amount of gasoline. In very cold conditions, typically below freezing, propane has an issue with vaporization, Each container can only vaporize a certain volume of liquid propane to gaseous propane, if you try to pull any more the engine will stall. Larger bulk tanks have more capacity but are still limited. In emergency conditions access to propane is usually less than gasoline although both run out.
        Thanks.

Do you know how many hours the small portable units are designed to run for? 200? 500? They are air cooled by the looks. Models like Honda 2.2EUi or Greenpower C1200 LPG.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Generators for sale in California have to be certified to meet emissions for 500 hours. That's all I know, other than the honda EU's last much much longer
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Firewill65
            • Jun 2018

If you have a natural gas hookup it's a no brainer. If you need to buy tanks, keep in mind a typical 20lb bbq tank holds a little less than 5 gallons of fuel. It's a little less efficient than fuel so figure out how much fuel your generator burns with a full load. Get a tri fuel adapter and the best of both worlds. I currently have a honda 3000 and honda 2000, both converted to run on extended fuel tanks as well as propane. I have 6 40lb. Tanks which is equal to about 54 gallons of fuel. If you are running a whole house sized generator on propane...it can get pretty expensive. It all depends on your needs.

Comment

• Jman
              • Dec 2017

I think the LPG idea is dead - lack of portable inverter ready to go units where I'm located, the conventional AC units as far as I can tell don't produce smooth pure sine wave power. Confused as they run an alternator (AC) which I would have thought would be similar to the way utility companies do. On conventional does the frequency (50-60hz) change when the revs lower with governor?

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Most portable IC engine generators produce a pretty decent sine wave. The frequency is governed by the RPM, so the better the RM regulation, the better time your clock will keep. However, frequency can vary + or - 5 hz [55-65 hz ] and won't cause much problem.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Jman
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  Most portable IC engine generators produce a pretty decent sine wave. The frequency is governed by the RPM, so the better the RM regulation, the better time your clock will keep. However, frequency can vary + or - 5 hz [55-65 hz ] and won't cause much problem.
                  Can you say if the green power CC2500 LPG genny is clean enough for a typical home AC Charger?

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Jman
                    I think the LPG idea is dead - lack of portable inverter ready to go units where I'm located, the conventional AC units as far as I can tell don't produce smooth pure sine wave power. Confused as they run an alternator (AC) which I would have thought would be similar to the way utility companies do.
                    You are confused because Alternators do not generate usable AC power, they generate DC power. The genny has a built in Modified Sine Wave or True Sine Wave Inverter. Alternators are generators at the root level. In fact most are 3-phase Generators. What makes them Alternators is the built-in rectifiers and voltage regulators that change AC to DC.

On conventional does the frequency (50-60hz) change when the revs lower with governor?
                    Frequency = RPM. Generators depending on engine type run at 1800, 2400, 3000, up to 3600 RPM's and the governor controls the engine RPM.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Can you say if the green power CC2500 LPG genny is clean enough for a typical home AC Charger?
                      I have no idea. But, probably, yes, if the voltage & Fq is correct.

Comment

• Jman
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
                        Frequency = RPM. Generators depending on engine type run at 1800, 2400, 3000, up to 3600 RPM's and the governor controls the engine RPM.
                        That to me sounds like when the governor is lowering engine speeds to save fuel with lite loads that the frequency will be off? So no good if the appliance needs constant.

Comment

• Bala
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Dec 2010

That to me sounds like when the governor is lowering engine speeds to save fuel with lite loads that the frequency will be off? So no good if the appliance needs constant.
                          Inverter generators will maintain Hz and V at any engine RPM. In Eco Mode Engine RPM will vary depending on load demand.

A generator with a petrol 4 stroke engine, such as Honda GX Series and smaller diesels need to run at 3000RPM for 50Hz and 3600 for 60Hz, It does not matter if what the load is, The engine RPM controls the Hz and in some cases the V as well.

Many larger diesels will run at 1500rpm for 50Hz and 1800 rpm for 60Hz.

There are other configurations but they are the common ones.
                          Last edited by Bala; 08-25-2018, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• Jman
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Bala

Inverter generators will maintain Hz and V at any engine RPM. In Eco Mode Engine RPM will vary depending on load demand.

A generator with a petrol 4 stroke engine, such as Honda GX Series and smaller diesels need to run at 3000RPM for 50Hz and 3600 for 60Hz, It does not matter if what the load is, The engine RPM controls the Hz and in some cases the V as well.

Many larger diesels will run at 1500rpm for 50Hz and 1800 rpm for 60Hz.

There are other configurations but they are the common ones.
                            Thanks. So by the sounds they all must have the ability to disable the governor for constant rpm? Or else how can an appliance run properley while other loads vary. There are no small portable inverter lpg units in my area and lpg is more appealing to me than petrol. All inverters are petrol.

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

Thanks. So by the sounds they all must have the ability to disable the governor for constant rpm? Or else how can an appliance run properley while other loads vary. There are no small portable inverter lpg units in my area and lpg is more appealing to me than petrol. All inverters are petrol.
                              You seem to not know how an inverter generator works. They generate a high voltage, of varied frequency, which powers an INVERTER. The inverter provides a clean, stable sine wave. The engine is controlled to only burn enough fuel to satisfy the demand of the inverter, it's RPM varys quite a bit.

There are conversion kits, that allow you to convert a gasoline carburetor to LPG.
                              Because LPG, propane, natural gas all contain less energy than gasoline, the motor will only be able to produce about 80% of it's normal power, so you must de-rate the electrical capacity about 20% from gasoline

Comment

Working...