Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12x12 Cabin - New to Solar - Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good point sunking. You could get 24 volt fans and 24 volt lighting. AND BUY ONE TIME.

Comment

I would suggest what SK already said to you. Think long and hard about your system battery voltage. 12v at 225 Ah = 2700 Watts of power storage, but 24v at 225 Ah = 5400 Watts of power storage ... Twice as much run time. Once you buy-in to voltage, it is no easy thing to change it. 12v batteries means a 12v system. So why not go 24v from the get go, much easier to expand. Yes 4 batteries, but then you could get a MPPT CC that will accept larger "grid-tie" type panels. Why not Get 3 250 Watt or 290 Watt (or whatever) panels sized for your CC and charging needs.

And if it were me, I'd get an inverter and run it all 120v for wire size reasons already listed to you. DC fans and stuff, by the time you add in the larger wiring and harder to find DC breakers, etc, might be close to the same expense as an appropriately sized inverter. And with the appropriate sized inverter that can run 120v you would be able to much more easily expand the AC side to include more receptacles, a fridge or TV. With AC, everything would cost less, or at least is more readily accessible.
      Last edited by Matrix; 06-19-2018, 03:35 PM.
      285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll noodle it some more and sure I'll be back. Appreciate your patience and willingness to share your experiences with a newbie.

Comment

So based on the latest feedback, how about this:

4 batteries - Duracell 215AH 6volt batteries into a 24v bank - $93.88 each at Sam's Club. Figured go with these since my first set will probably not last long as I learn and had great reviews or should I go Trojan T-105 now???
          2 - SunSpark 300 Watt Mono SST-300W $237.48 each - http://sepbatteries.com/sunspark-300...no-solar-panel
          EPEVER 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 100V PV Negative Grounded Tracer 4210AN + Remote Meter MT-50 + Temp Sensor Solar Regulator with LCD Display - 189.99
          Samlex 600 Watt 24V Pure Sine Wave Inverter PST-600-24 - 220.82

Around $1200 for the main stuff. Thoughts on that build?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug24 View Post
            4 batteries - Duracell 215AH 6volt batteries into a 24v bank - $93.88 each at Sam's Club. Figured go with these since my first set will probably not last long as I learn and had great reviews or should I go Trojan T-105 now???
            Smart move, wait for replacement time, then Trojan.

2 [B] - SunSpark 300 Watt Mono SST-300W $237.48 each
            Caution, see Charge Controller comment

EPEVER 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 100V PV Negative Grounded Tracer 4210AN + Remote Meter MT-50 + Temp Sensor Solar Regulator with LCD Display - 189.99
            OK the charge controller could likely be a problem with the 300 watt panels Voc rating. Ideally you want to wire the panels in series but the controller may eliminate wiring panels in series. The controller maximum Voc = 100 volts. So here is the issue. You have to adjust the panels Temperature Compensation. To do that is a simple formula assuming you are not in a cold climate.

Adjust Temperature Compensation = Series Panel VOC x 1.25.

Example lets say the panels Voc = 40 volts and you want to wire them in series. 80 volts x 1.25 = 100 volts. The number you calculate needs to be less than the Controller Voc input limit and I bet you anything the 300 watt panels Voc is greater than 40 volts.

However it is not a show stopper because you can wire them in parallel. It just requires larger wire.

Forget the Remote Meter MT-50 as it i snot needed and will not tell you much of anything useful.

Samlex 600 Watt 24V Pure Sine Wave Inverter PST-600-24 - 220.82
            Good choice, Samlex makes good Inverters. Just one note. Do not get an Inverter with greater power than the panels. So if you go with less panel wattage (600 watts), adjust Inverter size to be no greater than panel wattage.

MSEE, PE

Comment

You might want to take a look at the 4215bn it has 150 volt voc for about the same price.

Comment

Much thanks, guys. Seems like I'm finally starting to head down the right path here...

Comment

You probably said, but are you using 60 cell or 72 cell panels? Wouldn't using 60 cell panels get the voltage down to acceptable levels? You can get 60 cell panels with wattage up to 290 Watts (maybe more).

Comment

Looks like 60: http://sepbatteries.com/media/add_info/sunsparkmono.pdf

Comment

OK thanks. Well I realize you are NOT using a MidNite Solar Classic MPPT CC, But running your panels spec numbers thru the MidNite Solar Classic Sizing tool you can still see the raw numbers that your panels will generate for a 1S2P set up and a 2S1P set up ...
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you plan to order from S.E.P. what you gonna do with the other 24 panels? Minimum order 26.

Comment

Ha! Didn't see that. Looks like you can get the 260w ones in 2 or more. Guess I'll look at something like that.
                          Last edited by Doug24; 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Wait till you hear the shipping cost wow. Thats The reason I used 36 cell panels. If you lived in California, they are avaliable locally. But in Virginia shipping cost as much or more than 2 or 3 grid tie panels.

Comment

Yeah, I wondered about that as well. Being in central Illinois, I wondered if I could find some distribution outlet in the midwest within a reasonable driving distance. If that doesn't work, and shipping is simply too high, I suppose I could go with the 100W panels x 6. I see Amazon now has the HQST ones you referenced in an earlier post for $109 shipped: https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrys...r%2Bpanel&th=1

Comment

You can wire 2 of those in series and have 72 cell 24 volt panels. In my opinion 72 cells are better to charge 24 volt batteries than 60 cell panels in parellel.

Comment

Working...
                                X