DC generator to charge my RV house batteries?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNW_Steve
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

As I have tinkered with it and researched online I am beginning to think that it has a 24 volt regulator not 36 volt.

the seller told me that it was 36 volt.

The fuel pump is labeled "30 vdc "

The throttle actuator is labeled "24 vdc"

All of the similar units that I have found online are 24 volt.

I can't find any marking on the alternator that indicates voltage or manufacturer. Do the pictures give you all any clues?

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

If that was mine, I'd start by making sure the engine was OK. Does it have a starter?

Next connect a 24V battery, and see if it will charge it, or connections are wrong, or
      it is broken. Next step might be take the alternator apart, check for broken stuff
      (brushes), and draw out the wiring. Check that rectifier diodes are good.

If all appears good but no output and no info available, consider wiring up your own
      24VDC voltage regulator. An automotive style needs some current into the rotor,
      regulated to opperate. And needs a battery on the output to stabilize the voltage,
      not intended to operate open circuit. Some can cover a wide range of voltages
      beyond that it was optimally designed for. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• PNW_Steve
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
        If that was mine, I'd start by making sure the engine was OK. Does it have a starter?

Next connect a 24V battery, and see if it will charge it, or connections are wrong, or
        it is broken. Next step might be take the alternator apart, check for broken stuff
        (brushes), and draw out the wiring. Check that rectifier diodes are good.

If all appears good but no output and no info available, consider wiring up your own
        24VDC voltage regulator. An automotive style needs some current into the rotor,
        regulated to opperate. And needs a battery on the output to stabilize the voltage,
        not intended to operate open circuit. Some can cover a wide range of voltages
        beyond that it was optimally designed for. good luck, Bruce Roe
        That is my plan as soon as I determine what voltage the starter motor is.

Comment

Working...