X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flyview
    • Mar 2018

Need help for adapting to MC4 connectors

Hi,

First post here. I am looking to replace the flexible solar panel I use in my Sportsmobile van and I'm not sure how I would connect a new panel with MC4 connectors. My old panel, as well as the wiring that leads inside to the controller is just a 2 pin connector (pic below). Is there some sort of adapter I can purchase? What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by Flyview; 04-01-2018, 04:36 PM.
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Flyview
    Hi,

First post here. I am looking to replace the flexible solar panel (thread on possibly fixing it here: ) I use in my Sportsmobile van and I'm not sure how I would connect a new panel with MC4 connectors. My old panel, as well as the wiring that leads inside to the controller is just a 2 pin connector (pic below). Is there some sort of adapter I can purchase? What do you guys suggest?
    The parts to put together either style connector are readily available. I suggest getting some along
    with wire and crimpers, and make up the combination you need. My own inclination would be to
    convert completely to one style or the other. Do check the current rating is observed. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Flyview
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by bcroe

The parts to put together either style connector are readily available. I suggest getting some along
      with wire and crimpers, and make up the combination you need. My own inclination would be to
      convert completely to one style or the other. Do check the current rating is observed. Bruce Roe
      Thanks for the quick response! Could you please point me in the right direction for these parts? I have no idea what they're called. The current rating of the controller?

Comment

• foo1bar
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Thanks for the quick response! Could you please point me in the right direction for these parts? I have no idea what they're called. The current rating of the controller?
        If you're replacing the panel, I'd keep the MC4's on the new panel. If you have to do a warranty repair on the panel it'll probably be easier if it's not been modified at all.
        And your controller is probably out of warranty, so modifying it to have MC4's isn't a worry.

MC4 male ends can be found by searching "MC4 male coupler" For female, adjust the query as you'd think.
        I bought mine from renvu - there's a LOT of options out there.

If you want to modify the other side, look up the old panel and see if you can find what kind of connector it came with.

Comment

• Flyview
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by foo1bar

If you're replacing the panel, I'd keep the MC4's on the new panel. If you have to do a warranty repair on the panel it'll probably be easier if it's not been modified at all.
          And your controller is probably out of warranty, so modifying it to have MC4's isn't a worry.

MC4 male ends can be found by searching "MC4 male coupler" For female, adjust the query as you'd think.
          I bought mine from renvu - there's a LOT of options out there.

If you want to modify the other side, look up the old panel and see if you can find what kind of connector it came with.
          Yes, I don't want to modify the new panel. I suppose what I'm looking for is an adapter: MC4 (male? if panel is female) on one side and my old connector on the other side. Are you saying I should make my own adapter by buying the right ends and wire? Does anyone know what my old connector is properly called?
          Last edited by Flyview; 04-01-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Your 2 contact waterproof connector is common in auto wiring, trouble is I have seen 3
            variations that look very similar but don't play together. How about, I will solder a pair
            of MC4s on a foot of wire, you just splice them on in place of your 2 contact connector,
            carefully observing polarity? Bruce (has too many MC4s) Roe

Comment

• Flyview
              • Mar 2018

Your 2 contact waterproof connector is common in auto wiring, trouble is I have seen 3
              variations that look very similar but don't play together. How about, I will solder a pair
              of MC4s on a foot of wire, you just splice them on in place of your 2 contact connector,
              carefully observing polarity? Bruce (has too many MC4s) Roe
              Sure! Let me make it more clear what the current setup is like:

Solar panel -> Round-2-pin-to-automotive-2-pin adapter -> 20ft extension cable -> cable that goes inside to controller.

So what I can do is cut off the "round-2-pin" side of the current adapter and splice in MC4s that will mate with the new panel. I just figured these adapters would already exist but I guess not!

Pictures of the current adapter:

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

MC4s are a cheap waterproof connector that have become the standard. I believe you are junking
                one panel and replacing it with a new equivalent performance panel using MC4s. If so a pair
                ought to do it, your cord is too short to allow many mistakes. The polarity of the wires in the
                system must be maintained, MC4s can only connect one way.

If the hardware was here, I could probably make that adapter. But without them or exact drawings,
                there are about 8 ways to do it wrong. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Flyview
                  • Mar 2018

MC4s are a cheap waterproof connector that have become the standard. I believe you are junking
                  one panel and replacing it with a new equivalent performance panel using MC4s. If so a pair
                  ought to do it, your cord is too short to allow many mistakes. The polarity of the wires in the
                  system must be maintained, MC4s can only connect one way.

If the hardware was here, I could probably make that adapter. But without them or exact drawings,
                  there are about 8 ways to do it wrong. Bruce Roe
                  Haha gotcha. You're not in southern California by any chance are you? ?

Comment

• foo1bar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2014

Solar panel -> Round-2-pin-to-automotive-2-pin adapter -> 20ft extension cable -> cable that goes inside to controller.

So what I can do is cut off the "round-2-pin" side of the current adapter and splice in MC4s that will mate with the new panel. I just figured these adapters would already exist but I guess not!
                    Sounds reasonable - another possible option is replace the entire run with new wires with MC4's on them. (I'm assuming the cable that goes inside the controller is connected via some screw terminals) That'll change it from 3 connectors in each side of the line to just 1.

Comment

• Flyview
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by foo1bar

Sounds reasonable - another possible option is replace the entire run with new wires with MC4's on them. (I'm assuming the cable that goes inside the controller is connected via some screw terminals) That'll change it from 3 connectors in each side of the line to just 1.

Yes that would be ideal but the wire runs underneaty pop top and inside so I'd rather not deal with running a new wire through.

Comment

• littleharbor
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2016

Haha gotcha. You're not in southern California by any chance are you? ?
                        I am. Be happy to help if we can work it out.
                        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Flyview
                          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor

I am. Be happy to help if we can work it out.
                          Cool! Well first I have to find a replacement semi-flexible panel with max dimensions 26"x47".

Comment

• littleharbor
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2016

Let me know when you are ready. I live on Catalina Island but am in Long Beach during the week doing my solar biz.
                            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...