X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kdaddy1980
    • Jun 2017

Solar Camper Trailer Project

hey guys,
    its been a while since i posted anything so i figured i'd give you guys an update on my solar experiences so far.
    so, i started off small with harbor frieght 45w panels and 2 truck batteries but quickly learned that i was using way more power that i was producing.i slowly and painstakingly upgraded my system by buying more truck batteries and more hf panels (100w kits).
    i got a sweet deal on some 110ah agm batteries. So i traded my 12 flooded lead acid truck batteries for 5 agm's and that made a big difference. I found 4 more agm's online, had to drive to the next state to get them but picked them up for $100 each.(retail $256).the agm's charge faster and hold the charge longer but at only 445w max coming from my panels i still lack sufficent charge capability. When fully charged i can last about a week during sunny days and about 3-4 days on cloudy days before i have to switch to grid power and charge up.
    Its tax season and i got a decent tax refund so i decided to upgrade my system some more, and instead of putting panels on my house i bought a cheap camper trailer to install the panels on and run the power to the house via 30a rv extension.This eliminates my worry of the power company asking questions about my solar setup and why im not paying to be a solar customer.from the outside it will look like im powering the trailer from the house.
    I bought 5 genssi pv panels, a SunYoba 80a MPPT charge controller, 100a kwh meter w/shunt, and a Pyle 5000w power converter/regulator so i can feed 220v via the old A/C box on the back of my house. ( years before i moved in the ac unit was stolen but the 220v wiring still exists w/ pullout breaker). The pyle step-up converter uses 26w constantly which i dont like but will power the other leg of outlets that currently dont power up since im backfeeding 110v through a bedroom outlet.the second leg powers the microwave/fridge/oven curcuit. Right now i have to run an extension cord for the fridge,and dont use oven or microwave when im off-grid.
    Ill be posting pics as i go along, Im sure ill be asking questions and taking advice/suggestions. Hope you guys enjoy my project.
  • kdaddy1980
    • Jun 2017

I believe its a 1972 fleetwood prowler
    Attached Files

Comment

• kdaddy1980
      • Jun 2017

front
      Attached Files

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Sounds like you are trying to assemble a solar system as inexpensively as possible. Not a recommended method. You are setting up yourself for disappointment . First clue was the Harbor Freight solar panels. Actually, nowadays Harbor Freight panels are more expensive than quality solar panels. Second clue. If you were looking to buy a MPPT charge controller you should have kept shopping when you saw the Sun Yoba 80 amp MPPT controller. a true 80 amp MPPT controller will cost you over $500.00. I'm going to guess you paid about $85.00 for your controller and it looks like the one pictured.
        You haven't described your battery wiring scheme but I have a strong feeling you have paralleled a number of these batteries. This will cause your batteries to charge and discharge unevenly and cause the whole bank to live a short life.
        Strongly recommend you don't spend any more money until you figure out your loads and paper design a balanced system.
        Don't even try to back feed your trailer to your grid powered house, many bad things will happen, some, instantly.

Sun Yoba 80 amp CC.jpg
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• kdaddy1980
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by littleharbor
          Don't even try to back feed your trailer to your grid powered house, many bad things will happen, some, instantly.
          Im already backfeeding my house through a bedroom outlet, whats the difference i move my setup to the trailer?

Comment

• kdaddy1980
            • Jun 2017

You haven't described your battery wiring scheme but I have a strong feeling you have paralleled a number of these batteries. This will cause your batteries to charge and discharge unevenly and cause the whole bank to live a short life.
            its a 12v system, nine 110ah agm's in parrallel with a 2000/4000w inverter. so are you saying i should connect them in series and run 24v?

Comment

• kdaddy1980
              • Jun 2017

If you were looking to buy a MPPT charge controller you should have kept shopping when you saw the Sun Yoba 80 amp MPPT controller.
              i just figured it was a step up from the pwm controllers ive been using.

Comment

• kdaddy1980
                • Jun 2017

as far as loads, i only use about 0.2kw during the day and 1.6kw on weekend days. I used 0.6 kw last night.
                Last edited by kdaddy1980; 03-06-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• littleharbor
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by kdaddy1980

Im already backfeeding my house through a bedroom outlet, whats the difference i move my setup to the trailer?
                  You must have a cheapie Chinese grid tie inverter. Not legal in the USA. From your description I figured you had a battery based inverter feed into the grid. If there's no grid available you can energize your house wiring, although running a 5000 watt source into a single bedroom circuit sounds dangerous. I
                  Last edited by littleharbor; 03-06-2018, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

its a 12v system, nine 110ah agm's in parrallel with a 2000/4000w inverter. so are you saying i should connect them in series and run 24v?
                    Go to the stickies at the beginning of the topics and read up on off grid and battery topics. It's been described probably thousands of times in this Forum why parallel battery strings are a bad idea.

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

i just figured it was a step up from the pwm controllers ive been using.
                      They lied to you. It says MPPT, it's not. It is a PWM controller in disguise.

Comment

• kdaddy1980
                        • Jun 2017

You must have a cheapie Chinese grid tie inverter. Not legal in the USA. From your description I figured you had a battery based inverter feed into the grid. If there's no grid available you can energize your house wiring, although running a 5000 watt source into a single bedroom circuit sounds dangerous. I
                        the only reason i got a 5000w converter is to handle the surge from my fridge, i never use more that about 200w constant. The inverter is not grid-tie either, i just keep my main breakers off.

Comment

• kdaddy1980
                          • Jun 2017

They lied to you. It says MPPT, it's not. It is a PWM controller in disguise.
                          how can they do that?

Comment

• kdaddy1980
                            • Jun 2017

so this is a lie?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• littleharbor
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2016

They're playing with the words. What is "compatable MPPT" function. Yes they are lying. If this controller were true MPPT you would input higher than nominal voltage and the buck conversion would convert the high voltage, lower amperage input to the correct charging voltage while the amperage would rise proportionally. Guaranteed whatever voltage you put in will drop to the battery voltage and amperage will remain the same. Trust me I bought this controller to prove it to ,myself.. You will not see one bit of amperage boost. Sorry but that is what MPPT controllers do, this doesn't. MPPT = watts in watts out. PWM = amps in amps out.

Comment

Working...